2018-09-21

< gmaxwell> not to change subject but anyone know what this is? https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/9hrusk/orhpan_blocks/e6e4zhk/?context=3
< sdaftuar> maybe someone could implement https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8037
< luke-jr> better topic for #Bitcoin
< echeveria> is there some tool or setup guide that is telling people to open this port? I thought it was pretty difficult (not a single switch) to get Bitcoin Core to bind the RPC interface to 0.0.0.0.
< echeveria> I was looking at one of the public internet mapping tools for bitcoin core versions. there's a pretty disturbing number of hosts that have 8332 open.
< echeveria> there used to be bitcoin-security, but that was handled sort of poorly.
< gmaxwell> nanotube: :( I feel really uncomfortable with people going to bitcoin.org for that kind of information.
< harding> nanotube: any page on Bitcoin.org, top menu, Participate, Development, "to report an issue, please see the Bug Reporting page", Responsible Disclosure.
< nanotube> would it make sense to propose a 'contact' page on bitcoin.org similar to the one on bitcoincore.org? it appears it is non-trivial to find where to privately report security issues unless one knows to go to bitcoincore.org, since earlz had to come asking on #bitcoin-dev and -core-dev for a way to report.

2018-09-20

< jnewbery> promag: I think you could just oen a PR for a test for bitcoin-wallet-tool, including the commit from 13926. I expect any test would be merged as part of the original PR, but discussion of the tests can be in your new PR.
< MarcoFalke> I'd just wanted to ask people to look at https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14217
< wumpus> MarcoFalke: rcs for old releases used to be deleted because of disk space constraints on bitcoin.org, don't know if bitcoincore.org has the same problem
< luke-jr> FWIW, I do have various old versions archived on https://luke.dashjr.org/programs/bitcoin/files/bitcoind/
< wumpus> when bitcoincore.org started hosting executables I think I copied everything from bitcoin.org
< MarcoFalke> bitcoincore.org is mostly concerned about distributing working, tested and non-vulnerable software versions of Bitcoin Core. The site should not serve as an archive of binary blobs. Note that releases before 0.10.0 are already not offered as download on https://bitcoincore.org/bin/.
< earlz> What's the best way to privately report a security problem in bitcoin core?
< wumpus> I'm more concerned with adding more utilities to bitcoin core than the test framework expanding to test them
< wumpus> so it integrates somewhat more closely with the existing tests that bitcoin-tx which is an independend utility
< jnewbery> promag: I'd say it's probably better to keep them separate if possible. Take a look at the bitcoin-tx tests in test/util. Tests for bitcoin-wallet-tool should probably go in there.
< promag> jnewbery: do you think BitcoinTestFramework should be used/extended to support bitcoin-wallet-tool tests?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14279 | 0.14.3 release notes, manpage and version bump by Sjors · Pull Request #14279 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< fanquake> yep555 Should be, as there are still a few issues outstanding for 0.17.0 https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/33
< Arvidt> In the file there are signatures for bitcoin-0.10.4rc1 !
< Arvidt> Is it on purpose, that the SHA256SUMs file in https://bitcoincore.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.17.0/test.rc4/ is now named SHA256SUMS instead of SHA256SUMS.asc like it used to be named in the past? Because I have a download script and that looks for the file SHA256SUMS.asc to verfiy the download and the script does fail now because of missing signature file.

2018-09-19

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11622 | build: Add --disable-bip70 configure option by laanwj · Pull Request #11622 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< emilengler> Why Bitcoin Core isn't released as an AppImage ? It has a lot of advantages ?
< Jmabsd> echeveria: (exactly this is Bitcoin Core blockchain storage, it's implementation-specific - however yea i see your point, these are not sourcecode questions)
< echeveria> Jmabsd: these are better questions for #bitcoin.
< Jmabsd> only block headers where the block was downloaded, is stored? so a partial sync where Bitcoin Core got the header but not the block data are dropped?
< sipa> Jmabsd: perhaps it would be useful to search through bitcoin stackexchange about this topic, it contains a lot more information than anyone can give you on the fly here
< sipa> there are many questions and answers about this topic on bitcoin.stackexchange.com
< Jmabsd> What persistent indexes and databases(""tables"") does Bitcoin Core implement today?
< luke-jr> (which can be done with: layman -a bitcoin )
< luke-jr> wumpus: nope, the main tree is behind; he should add the bitcoin overlay
< provoostenator> Several links to older releases are broken as of the last few hours, e.g: https://bitcoincore.org/bin/bitcoin-core-0.15.1/
< ott0disk> What's the rationale behind https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14196 ?
< ctrlbreak> bitcoind and bitcoin-cli report
< ctrlbreak> Bitcoin Core Daemon version v0.16.3
< sipa> ctrlbreak: let's move to #bitcoin
< ctrlbreak> Should I head to #bitcoin to find out how I've screwed this up?

2018-09-18

< gmaxwell> TD-Linux: bitcoin caps at 16 because we measured previously and found that performance stops improving there and gets worse.
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10271 | Use std::thread::hardware_concurrency, instead of Boost, to determine available cores by fanquake · Pull Request #10271 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< TD-Linux> how does bitcoin decide how many threads to use? it seems to only be using 16 on my 32 core machine
< wumpus> did anyone urge people to upgrade in #bitcoin yet?
< wumpus> bitcoincore.org and bitcoin.org PRs have both been merged, should be a matter of times before the sites update...
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14263 | Update manpages for 0.15.2 by Sjors · Pull Request #14263 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< ossifrage_> gmaxwell, I was just building a fresh bitcoin and noticed I still had a madvise(MADV_RANDOM) when mmapping read only data in leveldb, Is this worth a PR? It seem to reduces the number of pages fetched, but I don't have a good way to show if it actually helps
< provoostenator> I'm trying to build the man pages on a Gitian box, which doesn't have a display. Any idea how to get around "QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display" for "bitcoin-qt --help"?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14251 | doc: Add historical release notes for 0.16.3 by laanwj · Pull Request #14251 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< leishman> I find the bitcoin-core-dev irc logs on botbot super useful for following development progress and learning. Are there channel logs anywhere else?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14262 | 0.15.2 release notes by Sjors · Pull Request #14262 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< harding> wumpus: 0.16.3 release PR for BitcoinCore.org for when the binaries are uploaded: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/596
< echeveria> zndtoshi: this is more appropriate for #bitcoin, please ask it there.
< zndtoshi> miners. They have a veto option by signaling acceptance or not of a future softfork. But they should/will meet with everyone else at the Schelling point as well. Is there a REAL need for mining nodes to signal inside the Bitcoin Network? If not, are there any risks to remove mining node signaling?
< zndtoshi> Pierre Rochard explained in a presentation about Bitcoin Governance that consensus is reached similary to people meeting at the Schelling point: they know the city but not the location and hour to meet. They will think what the other would do and vice versa and in NY meet in Grand Central Station at noon without communicating. So conseus in Bitcoin is the same: everyone gravitates to the right software to use or the rig
< fanquake> bralyclow There are still some outstanding issues/PRs that need to be resolved for 0.17 https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/33
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14196 | [0.17][psbt] always drop the unnecessary utxo and convert non-witness utxo to witness when necessary by achow101 · Pull Request #14196 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub

2018-09-17

< mryandao> what are good ways to record timing events for specific functions in bitcoin without using events (but a clock timer) instead?
< hebasto> ken2812221_: I use term "valid" as it is used in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md#contributor-workflow Cite: "The title of the pull request should be prefixed by the component or area that the pull request affects. Valid areas as: ..."

2018-09-16

< Jmabsd> gmaxwell: so Bitcoin Core runs its own epoll()/poll()/select() call?
< Jmabsd> What IO library / modality is Bitcoin Core using for its TCP data channels and TCP IO scheduling? (e.g. Boost ASIO)

2018-09-15

2018-09-14

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11227 | WIP: switch to libevent for node socket handling by theuni · Pull Request #11227 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14221 | wip: net: Implement poll by pstratem · Pull Request #14221 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< hebasto> wumpus: MarcoFalke: may I ask you to add missed #13844 to the https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-devwiki/wiki/0.17.0-Release-notes
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13844 | doc: correct the help output for -prune by hebasto · Pull Request #13844 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14180 | qa: Run all tests even if wallet is not compiled by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #14180 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1

2018-09-13

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12493 | [wallet] Reopen CDBEnv after encryption instead of shutting down by achow101 · Pull Request #12493 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gmaxwell> Thats too bad, it would make for a meaningful improvement in bitcoin node usability for many users if we could use that.
< jnewbery> aj: fantastic! Didn't know about http://www.erisian.com.au/bitcoin-core-dev/
< aj> fwiw, i've been keeping non meeting channel logs at http://www.erisian.com.au/bitcoin-core-dev/
< meshcollider> So make a new repo in bitcoin-core called irc-logs or something and upload them ?
< MarcoFalke> Can be a completely separate trash.bitcoin-core-dev-logs.domain
< jnewbery> meeting notes also link to http://www.erisian.com.au/meetbot/bitcoin-core-dev/ , which I think is maintained by aj
< jnewbery> I'm flattered, honestly, but already too busy with bitcoin optech, residency stuff, etc
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14197 | [psbt] Convert non-witness UTXOs to witness if witness sig created by achow101 · Pull Request #14197 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> yes I actually added the PRs and authors: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-devwiki/wiki/0.17.0-Release-notes
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13339 | wallet: Replace %w by wallet name in -walletnotify script by promag · Pull Request #13339 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13100 | gui: Add dynamic wallets support by promag · Pull Request #13100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14196 | [0.17][psbt] always drop the unnecessary utxo and convert non-witness utxo to witness when necessary by achow101 · Pull Request #14196 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14200 | bitcoind aborts with boost exception · Issue #14200 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< kallewoof> jimpo: reading https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/725#pullrequestreview-154741923 it looks like you're suggesting the proof of funds should be a (fakeish) transaction, and the messsage signing should not be. Am I understanding that right? If so, it seems like you could just do transaction in both cases to simplify the spec. I.e. for signing message, craft two txs with the latter spending the former and former using
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14007 | tests: Run functional test on Windows and enable it on Appveyor by ken2812221 · Pull Request #14007 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub

2018-09-12

< gmaxwell> I'm not aware of lightning watchtowers relaying bitcoin blocks.
< gmaxwell> I'm not opposed it it but skeptical that its all that useful for bitcoin in general. I suggested the generic because I could imagine more uses for that. (even if just test shims)
< Jmabsd> Where in Bitcoin's source code is the TxFee estimation logics for when planning to make a transaction?
< wumpus> I've added the list of pulls and authors to: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-devwiki/wiki/0.17.0-Release-notes
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13052 | trivial: Fix relevent typo by practicalswift · Pull Request #13052 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12747 | Fix typos by practicalswift · Pull Request #12747 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12393 | Fix a-vs-an typos by practicalswift · Pull Request #12393 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12543 | Fix typos by practicalswift · Pull Request #12543 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13069 | docs: Fix typos by practicalswift · Pull Request #13069 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12283 | Fix typos by practicalswift · Pull Request #12283 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14195 | fix export privkey der always compressed by fingera · Pull Request #14195 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< kallewoof> reserve could have blinded inputs and outputs as well, or whatever else the bitcoin protocol is made to allow. As long as the spends are tangled up with the fake input (via SIGHASH_ALL or a mimblewimble kernel, or whatever), it doesn't matter."
< kallewoof> echeveria: To quote argument for a tx-like protocol: "It also works well with proof of reserve: the proof of reserve is a bitcoin transaction spending all the funds, but with an additional input (covered by SIGHASH_ALL) that points to a fake/invalid tx. This has the additional benefit of working in a forward compatible way with any future bitcoin extension, like confidential transactions or mimblewimble: your proof of
< kallewoof> Johnson Lau is suggesting reserving OP_MESSAGEONLY = 0xf0 as opcode for message signing, or alternatively "OP_RETURN msgXXX". It feels wasteful to take an opcode, but feedback would be nice: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/725#issuecomment-420421058
< gmaxwell> in any case, he came up before, he's some bitconnect promoter that claims the be one of the first bitcoin developers after satoshi and a bunch of other stuff that made no sense.

2018-09-11

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14007 | tests: Run functional test on Windows and enable it on Appveyor by ken2812221 · Pull Request #14007 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14147 | net: Refactor ThreadSocketHandler by pstratem · Pull Request #14147 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13926 | [Tools] bitcoin-wallet-tool by jnewbery · Pull Request #13926 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gmaxwell> 10:48:20 < sipa> so either bitcoind or "bitcoin-qt -server" still need to automatically create a wallet
< sipa> so either bitcoind or "bitcoin-qt -server" still need to automatically create a wallet
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13100 | gui: Add dynamic wallets support by promag · Pull Request #13100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13756 | wallet: -avoidreuse feature for improved privacy by kallewoof · Pull Request #13756 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/9662 | Add createwallet "disableprivatekeys" option: a sane mode for watchonly-wallets by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #9662 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13059 | Dynamic wallet load / create / unload · Issue #13059 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< BlueMatt> wumpus: there's a helluvalot more in rust-bitcoin than just primitives, but, ok, it *includes* primitives :p
< EucOcVrFfr2D> achow101: By the way, i found a duplicate test for the SIGNER role (still in functional/data/rpc_psbt.json), i opened a PR to remove it https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14199
< EucOcVrFfr2D> The expected result in that test is equal to the input, the author @achow101 wanted to make sure bitcoind doesn't 'crash' on that scenario but it silently moves on. The scenario is when we're trying to sign a PSBT input but one of the requirement fails -> https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blame/master/bip-0174.mediawiki#L342
< EucOcVrFfr2D> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/v0.17.0rc3/test/functional/data/rpc_psbt.json#L90 the PSBT contains a PartiallySignedInput where RedeemScript=[OP_2, 029583bf39ae0a609747ad199addd634fa6108559d6c5cd39b4c2183f1ab96e07f, 02dab61ff49a14db6a7d02b0cd1fbb78fc4b18312b5b4e54dae4dba2fbfef536d7, OP_2, OP_CHECKMULTISIGVERIFY] and the ScriptPubKey=[OP_HASH160, 0fb9463421696b82c833af241c78c17ddbde4934, OP_EQUAL]
< wumpus> https://github.com/zw/bitcoin-gh-meta stopped updating?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14184 | Scripts and tools: increased timeout downloading by cisba · Pull Request #14184 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> dongcarl: multiple indices, like an sql database: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/src/txmempool.h#L461
< fanquake> However I have been overly optimistic about removing Boost in the past, hah. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8875#issuecomment-280325296
< dongcarl> From https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10299#issuecomment-298785082 it seems like sipa was going to "propose some other RNG changes first"
< wumpus> but for now, it's realistic to drop the dependency of bitcoind on openssl, but not the bitcoin-qt one
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11622 | build: Add --disable-bip70 configure option by laanwj · Pull Request #11622 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10299 | Remove OpenSSL by sipa · Pull Request #10299 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/5885 | [WIP] Replace OpenSSL PRNG with built-in Fortuna implementation by sipa · Pull Request #5885 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< warren> mryandao: the bigger risk is undiscovered bugs in the dependent libraries, this blew up several times in the past. Bitcoin devs found/reported/fixed many bugs in openssl and spent years to carefully write a replacement to get rid of openssl.
< warren> Yes it would be really nice to be able to use most of bitcoin core as libraries in other projects.
< warren> mryandao: multiple people here started years ago on the side of "This is crazy! We need to write a specification of what is Bitcoin." and a year or two of study later realize reimplmentations are too dangerous.
< dongcarl> wumpus and I talked about perhaps writing a standalone P2P bitcoin server in Rust that can FFI with bitcoind
< mryandao> anyone balsy enough to run parity-bitcoin?
< wumpus> rust-bitcoin is a library that implements some bitcoin primitives in rust, it's not meant as a replacement for bitcoin core, but something like python-bitcoinlib
< dongcarl> mryandao: rust-bitcoin isn't a rewrite yet, and BlueMatt isn't the only developer
< Jmabsd> achow101: did Bitcoin Core have any particular point with _not_ implementing an accounts abstraction - it's just Bitcoin Core wants to provide one single wallet balance, yes?
< achow101> Jmabsd: or really bip44 is bip32 with stuff added onto it. the original description of suggested derivations paths is very similar to core: https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/blob/master/bip-0032.mediawiki#the-default-wallet-layout
< Jmabsd> achow101: in other words, Bitcoin Core rolled it own thing.
< Jmabsd> achow101: so Bitcoin Core cut away the "coin" and the "account" derivation, and set purpose to 0 - that's pretty much it yes?
< Jmabsd> does Bitcoin Core do BIP 44 "m / purpose' / coin_type' / account' / change / address_index" form at all?
< Jmabsd> What is the structure of Bitcoin Core's HD wallet now (derivation paths); it's not going with BIP 44/49 today is it?
< kallewoof> achow101: is it, really? (easier to implement) In bitcoin core, I would add a BaseSignatureChecker that took a sighash and that's all. Just call VerifyScript with the inputs from the SignatureProof container.
< kallewoof> Several people on https://github.com/bitcoin/bips/pull/725 (Generic Signed Message Format) are suggesting I use a fake tx that the prover simply signs. I'm not sure what the benefits of doing this are, though..
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14196 | [0.17][psbt] always drop the unnecessary utxo and convert non-witness utxo to witness when necessary by achow101 · Pull Request #14196 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< sipa> i think this may have been inadvertently fixed by https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13723

2018-09-10

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13482 | Remove boost::program_options dependency by ken2812221 · Pull Request #13482 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< jarthur> Hey, I'm able to reproduce this on both Debian jessie and Debian stretch - https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/8749 - any of you run into it yet?
< dongcarl> Looking into libconsensus as well... I'm wondering if the API detailed in https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/6714 still holds... Seems like jtimon and NicolasDorier did a bunch of work that's been closed due to inactivity?
< echeveria> hey at least bitcoin doesn't make HTTP requests using raw sockets now.

2018-09-09

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13200 | Process logs in a separate thread by jamesob · Pull Request #13200 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< CubicEarth> In either case though, if blocks are to be retained until the pruning command is given by another service, it seems useful to have bitcoin have an option to not download more than some MBs or GBs worth of blocks

2018-09-08

< CubicEarth> but if lightning isn't started at same time, bitcoin will go ahead and fill all space it can find
< CubicEarth> it would be cool to have bitcoin not prune any blocks unless manually instructed, and yet also respect a storage limitation. So until manual pruning happened, it wouldn't download new blocks beyond some point.
< gmaxwell> this got answered hors ago in #bitcoin.
< Jmabsd> <crosspost from #bitcoin, please respond at #bitcoin, sorry for spam>Can I add witness data to a transaction input that is not necessarily segwit and where the witness data i'd add is unrelated to the output the input spends?</spam>
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12775 | Integration of property based testing into Bitcoin Core by Christewart · Pull Request #12775 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub

2018-09-07

< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14007 | tests: Run functional test on Windows and enable it on Appveyor by ken2812221 · Pull Request #14007 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14009 | Simple refactoring: Common code for decoding of hex "objects" by domob1812 · Pull Request #14009 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< _flow_> wumpus: jonasschnelli: regarding https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13621 again: I looked into adding further tests for this, but the tests that I already re-enabled (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13621/files#diff-2a344479dbbded9df5d6a4abde2cd48cL60) are exaclty what my PR tries to fix. The issue the PR addresses was the reason those tests got disabled in the first place. Anything
< * wumpus> still remembers in the old bitcoin source, satoshi had remapped 'printf' with a macro, now that was confusing, but we should make a habit of switching around log function names that just adds to cognitive load
< fanquake> wumpus can you have a look at https://github.com/bitcoin-core/univalue/pull/11

2018-09-06

< MarcoFalke> We should put the minimum version into https://github.com/bitcoin-core/docs
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12257 | [wallet] Use destination groups instead of coins in coin select by kallewoof · Pull Request #12257 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< BlueMatt> ah, right, the exploit-timeward-to-change-blocktime-and-fork-to-lock-it-in thing....I feel like thats something that needs more broad bitcoin-dev or whatever discussion, its not something to be discussed a technical planning meeting
< moneyball> * hardware wallet support in Bitcoin Core
< moneyball> * partially signed bitcoin transactions
< gmaxwell> Maybe people could think about rhavar's bustapay... I think it might be reasonable to support it in the bitcoin core wallet.
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13869 | Filename and command line encoding issue on Windows · Issue #13869 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10299 | Remove OpenSSL by sipa · Pull Request #10299 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14147 | net: Refactor ThreadSocketHandler by pstratem · Pull Request #14147 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12775 | Integration of property based testing into Bitcoin Core by Christewart · Pull Request #12775 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircu
< wumpus> ok, https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/milestone/33 has only release notes TODOs left, let's tag 0.17.0rc3 ?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13937 | HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10102 | HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14157 | [0.17] doc: merge upstream release-notes from bitcoin-core/bitcoin-devwiki by fanquake · Pull Request #14157 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub

2018-09-04

< leishman> is there a reason logs don't show up on https://botbot.me/freenode/bitcoin-core-dev/ anymore? Is there a bot user in this channel?
< sipa> but not general discussion on bitcoin or usage
< sipa> polydin: no, this channel is about development of bitcoin core
< echeveria> polydin: you're invited to message me privately, or ask me on #bitcoin any questions you have about getting started.
< echeveria> you should ask in #bitcoin.
< provoostenator> 13937 can be found here, though without PR comments: https://github.com/Sjors/bitcoin/commits/2018/08/best-header-tracking
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13937 | HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
< as1nc> hello folks, beautiful day here in south of france, bitcoin is doing great, what else can we ask ? :) oh yeah, anyone has any tips on how I could guess what type of a addresses is used (p2sh, p2pkh..) given an xpub, ypub or zpub key ? is that even possible ?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12138 | Track best-possible-headers by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #12138 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13937 | HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error
< achow101> both gmail and protonmail show me "from: X via bitcoin-dev"

2018-09-03

< kanzure> sipa: apologies. mailing list is in moderation mode since someone figured out how to spoof emails from bitcoin developers. emails were delayed due to my travel.
< gmaxwell> Aside, AFAICT walletprocesspsbt doesn't even show the fees. nor does decodepsbt... so using bitcoin core rpc as your HSM doesn't even provide any security improvement from having the inputs present? or am I missing it?
< jonasschnelli> kanzure: is there an issue with the bitcoin-dev mailing? I sent an email 7h, but got nothing back from the list
< sipa> gmaxwell: well, right now, the implementation in bitcoin core isn't sufficient for non-wallet operation
< gmaxwell> I understand how the bitcoin protocol works. I'm surprised that there isn't any way to bypass checking the inputs.
< rafalcpp> sipa: seems parts of his code disappeared from git? or is github acting up. following parts of that discussion re 14090 and getting into places like https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14090/files/9cc9bd700e92486189695ea1cb6edafd714cb33b and github says not found
< Salve> Why does bitcoin use sha-512?
< wumpus> bountysource supports bitcoin? TIL
< wumpus> despite all the rumors about toxicity in bitcoin development we have really very little drama compared to other large projects

2018-09-02

< fanquake> wumpus If that guy (who you just banned) is going to carry on, I'm inclined to close that PR. https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14090#issuecomment-417929318
< as1nc> switching to #bitcoin right now :)
< wumpus> as1nc: would be better to ask in #bitcoin, this channel is for bitcoin core development
< wumpus> bitcoin core ofc
< as1nc> wumpus, did you send the coin within bitcoin core, or another wallet ?
< as1nc> yeah i understand, but i'm bulding a service for user to accpet bitcoin via web interface providing only their extended public keys, and I really want to provide a testnet api
< as1nc> so hard to test stuff on bitcoin :)
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14129 | Trivial: update clang thread-safety docs url by Empact · Pull Request #14129 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14090 | windows: show progress bar in task bar by alexeyneu · Pull Request #14090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14091 | Minor style enhancement in documentation by fedsten · Pull Request #14091 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gmaxwell> (and before anyone things "but bitcoin traffic doesn't really need to be tamper protected" -- it's important to authenticate encrypted data or you can use targeted tampering to extract small amounts of data from encrypted links by tampering and observing what happens)
< gmaxwell> (in fact, bitcoin core computes the hash incrementaly)

2018-09-01

< gmaxwell> there should be no particular reason that someone couldn't run a fully functional bitcoin node using a few tens of MB of ram... though obviously not one with the lowest possible latency.
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14100 | doc: Change documentation for =0 for non-boolean options by laanwj · Pull Request #14100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14105 | util: Report parse errors in configuration file by laanwj · Pull Request #14105 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14121 | Index for BIP 157 block filters by jimpo · Pull Request #14121 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub

2018-08-31

< gmaxwell> a long time back I did post something about bosting fingerprint comparison security via cut-and-choose: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/User:Gmaxwell/visual_fingerprint_comparison
< dongcarl> Have there been any thoughts put into an identicon/visual hash representation of Bitcoin addresses for improved user experience? Would that be useful in any way?

2018-08-30

< echeveria> "The receiver is responsible in making sure the "partial transaction" returned by the sender was changed correctly (it should assume the connection has been MITM'd and act accordingly), resign its original inputs and propagates this transaction over the bitcoin network. The client must be aware that the server can reorder inputs and outputs."
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14090 | [windows] progress bar in task bar by alexeyneu · Pull Request #14090 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14089 | CryptGenRandom is deprecated by fingera · Pull Request #14089 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13878 | utils: Add fstream wrapper to allow to pass unicode filename on Windows by ken2812221 · Pull Request #13878 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13866 | utils: Use _wfopen and _wfreopen on Windows by ken2812221 · Pull Request #13866 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14019 | Import pubkeys when importing p2sh with importmulti by achow101 · Pull Request #14019 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14046 | net: Refactor message parsing (CNetMessage), adds flexibility by jonasschnelli · Pull Request #14046 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13846 | Move src/tinyformat.h to src/tinyformat/tinyformat.h by Empact · Pull Request #13846 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13845 | Include tinyformat as a subtree by Empact · Pull Request #13845 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13846 | Move src/tinyformat.h to src/tinyformat/tinyformat.h by Empact · Pull Request #13846 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14096 | Add reference documentation for descriptors language by sipa · Pull Request #14096 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14114 | scantxoutset help about descriptors refers to TODO document · Issue #14114 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHubAsset 1Asset 1
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14100 | doc: Change documentation for =0 for non-boolean options by laanwj · Pull Request #14100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13243 | Make reusable base class for auxiliary indices by jimpo · Pull Request #13243 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13033 | Build txindex in parallel with validation by jimpo · Pull Request #13033 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14048 | 0.16.2 binary gives error after latest compiled client has run · Issue #14048 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12391 | TODO for release notes 0.17.0 · Issue #12391 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13194 | Remove template matching and pseudo opcodes by sipa · Pull Request #13194 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14104 | 0.17.2rc issue (standardness change for bare multisig) · Issue #14104 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14109 | ibd memory usage up in 0.17 · Issue #14109 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14109 | ibd memory usage up in 0.17 · Issue #14109 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14048 | 0.16.2 binary gives error after latest compiled client has run · Issue #14048 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
< wumpus> midnightmagic: yes, it is, at git@github.com:zw/bitcoin-gh-meta.git
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12391 | TODO for release notes 0.17.0 · Issue #12391 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14037 | Add README.md to linux release tarballs by hebasto · Pull Request #14037 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #14108: tests: Add missing locking annotations and locks (master...mapOrphanTransactions-is-guarded-by-g_cs_orphans) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14108
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14107 | wallet: Remove unused function GetLabelDestination by practicalswift · Pull Request #14107 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #13825: [wallet] Kill accounts (master...kill_accounts) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13825
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 07033a8 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #13825: [wallet] Kill accounts...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #14107: wallet: Remove unused function GetLabelDestination (master...deadc0de) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14107
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c9c32e6 John Newbery: [wallet] Kill accounts...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/6c7cfc8da68a...07033a8f9197
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #14107: wallet: Remove unused function GetLabelDestination (master...deadc0de) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14107
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 closed pull request #13515: travis: avoid timeout without saving caches, also enable all qt (master...travis_qt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13515
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #13126: util: Add Clang thread safety annotations for variables guarded by cs_args (master...guarded-by-cs_args) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/13126
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1e29379 practicalswift: Fix potential deadlock
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master db5e9d3 practicalswift: Add missing locks (cs_args)
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d58dc9f practicalswift: Add lock annotations (cs_args)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/be301a577776...6c7cfc8da68a
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #14106: 0.17 (master...0.17) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14106
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mkjekk opened pull request #14106: 0.17 (master...0.17) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14106