2017-09-13

< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fadd0c1 MarcoFalke: [qa] zapwallettxes: Wait up to 3s for mempool reload
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/96ac26e56627...8df48b36ed32
< harding> BashCo: as I said above, I think the desire is not to get all Bitcoin users on the same platform; merely to get all developers on the same platform.
< BashCo> gmaxwell's meetup vid covering 0.15 was really popular. a 'sunday talk show' circuit covering various bitcoin media outlets could get a great response, but I understand it has the negative effect of placing devs on pedestals and creating PR spokesmen.
< BashCo> yeah fair enough. The Bitcoin community also has ambiguously defined boundaries. Lucky for Core, a large contingent of those communities support Core. That's why I think it's short sighted to pressure those communities to disband in favor of inferior platforms.
< luke-jr> BashCo: I don't agree. The latter is simply the Bitcoin community.
< OdaNobunaga> It's been suggested (today on the slack) to rebrand the slack into something not connected to core, for example "bitcoincommunity" or something like that (the bitcoin subdomain of slack is already taken)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mess110 closed pull request #11314: [tests] Add abortrescan RPC test (master...add-abortrescan-rpc-test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11314
< BlueMatt> I absolutely agree there is some value in it, but some active steps should be taken to a) make clear this is not somehow a community related to bitcoin core (the technical project) and b) try to enforce lack of splitbrain
< achow101> s/the community/any bitcoin related discussion community/
< BlueMatt> while I understand the migration from Reddit and IRC to some extent, pushing folks towards Slack has, in large part, simply added yet another disconnected venue for Bitcoin discussion, creating yet another fork of the community whcih does not sufficiently communicate with other parts
< BlueMatt> and the "splitbrain community" issues greg raised are also critical here - as the Bitcoin community grows Bitcoin becomes harder to change, and thats good, but it should not do so needlessly simply because parts of the community do not sufficiently communicate with other parts
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dooglus opened pull request #11320: Include the wallet name in log messages relating to wallets (master...wallet_name_in_log) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11320
< midnightmagic> He's over in #bitcoin too, last I checked.
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sdaftuar opened pull request #11319: [qa] Fix error introduced into p2p-segwit.py, and prevent future similar errors (master...2017-09-fix-p2p-segwit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11319
< BashCo_> The 'split communities' (IRC/Slack/Twitter/reddit/etc) are a simple reality that we have to come to terms with. Maybe it's unfortunate that 'Core' is in the Slack team name, but plain 'Bitcoin' is apparently being squatted. Even that would not solve anything since most people will still prefer Slack over IRC. /sorryforflood
< molz> gmaxwell, what would you suggest? you want to close the core slack and force everyone to join IRC? the only channel they can talk is #bitcoin but even that channel is not for everything one can discuss
< gmaxwell> molz: that kind of thing doesn't work, there are incredible misconceptions that come from just not talking. As far as never find it... http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=bitcoin works pretty well for public chat.
< molz> gmaxwell, the Core slack has bridges to this channel and #bitcoin-dev, many people on the slack read these channels and more informed of what's going on with the development than you know, and if not for the slack, these people would never join IRC or know what's going on with the bitcoin development
< intcat> meanwhile people like me who prefer connecting to irc over tor so as to not expose IP to anyone lurking in bitcoin-related channels and suffering frequent disconnects as a result cant unfortunately follow all discussion here
< gmaxwell> Too bad hundreds of people never get to talk to me because they've been siphoned off into a Bitcoin Core chat group that I'm not in.
< gmaxwell> My interest in Bitcoin is primarily political, the same is true for (I assume) most of the technical contributors.
< gmaxwell> There are dozens of non-technical bitcoin channels on IRC-- ones that also get participation from many of the longest standing bitcoin users and technical contributors too.
< gmaxwell> By splitting the community I mean creating a parallel and seperate Bitcoin Core chat community and directing traffic there instead of where the actual bitcoin project people are.
< CodeShark> using the name was because otherwise what am I promoting? for better or worse, the Bitcoin Core project was where the greatest protocol expertise was concentrated
< CodeShark> I have invested FAR more of my time promoting Bitcoin Core than Ciphrex in the last two years
< CodeShark> I'll be totally blunt here - I deeply respect your domain knowledge and breadth of understanding and have learned tremendously from you...but I also strongly disagree with the public relations strategy the Bitcoin Core project had a couple years ago
< CodeShark> about the best option we had to keep the network together is to help promote the Bitcoin Core project since it is by far the most responsible and most reliable when it comes to avoiding consensus failures
< gmaxwell> As far as I am concerned: It is the _bitcoin project_. As far as I am concerned there is no bitcoin core project. Bitcoin Core is a piece of software.
< CodeShark> for better or worse, it all sort of concentrated around the Bitcoin Core project because that's where the best protocol experts were
< CodeShark> I could have used my company name instead to promote crap - but I wanted to help the Bitcoin Core project. this isn't about me
< gmaxwell> The software project here is the _bitcoin_ project, Bitcoin core is the name of the reference client, it's not the only thing the project does.
< CodeShark> but not everyone agrees on what Bitcoin is
< gmaxwell> OdaNobunaga: the whole thing is the _fking_ bitcoin project, dude. Bitcoin.
< OdaNobunaga> CodeShark: Perhaps we should come up with a word to refer to the "decentralisation first"/user-driven/cypherpunk movement within bitcoin, and rename the slack after it
< OdaNobunaga> I agree with gmaxwell, it's hard to see what the slack has to do with bitcoin core
< CodeShark> I see the Bitcoin Core software project as part of a wider movement
< gmaxwell> please get bitcoin core's name off it before doing anything else with moderation... so tired of being blamed for moderation actions in stuff we have no control over.
< gmaxwell> many of the developers are usually in #bitcoin.
< OdaNobunaga> On the Slack we kind of call that the "user driven" bitcoin (I've seen that being used a few times)
< CodeShark> I would like to give a name to the movement that favors the conservative approach to consensus rule changes and general avoidance of incompatibilities unless the technical benefits greatly outweigh the costs...and to distinguish it from the Bitcoin Core FOSS project
< OdaNobunaga> But the I've been surprised to see it being called "the bitcoin core slack" as the discussion there mostly isn't technical, and its biggest contributors aren't core devs
< OdaNobunaga> I've been following the various the "bitcoin core" slack on a daily basis (mostly its various UASF channels) since last March, and I think that there's a lot of amplification going on, but at the same time the most vocal contributors there are well aware that they're an extreme minority and that they can't possibly have everything go their way; I w
< gmaxwell> For example, one of your top contributors (who sent me some very nasty remarks) told me that Bitcoin Core was _never_ going to force a segwit activation and so BIP148 was the _only_ option.
< CodeShark> I just wanted to build good products atop bitcoin and decided to support the Bitcoin Core project however I could because it's the most stable, most reliable, most secure implementation of validation and relay
< CodeShark> I believe #bitcoin-core-dev should focus more on tech developments and code. we have other channels for things like media strategy
< CodeShark> I just saw Bitcoin Core viciously attacked a couple years ago and hostile parties form...and did whatever I could to communicate basic principles. it's impossible to get everyone aligned on all the details, but the priority was around trying to at least have a coherent overarching message
< CodeShark> I try my best to keep abreast of important developments within Bitcoin Core and do my best to communicate them
< sipa> sure, but why does that need to happen under the "Bitcoin Core" name?
< CodeShark> I was working on my own Bitcoin implementation and codebase prior to this whole hard forking insanity and decided to volunteer most of my time to help Bitcoin Core instead. prior to that I use to come here more, but I realized that many people still needed basic information
< CodeShark> and there's a lot more to the Bitcoin Core project than just submitting pull requests and doing code review
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] gmaxwell opened pull request #11318: Put back inadvertently removed copyright notices (master...fix_copying) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11318
< aj> meshcollider: yeah; wumpus is lead maintainer of the bitcoin repo, doesn't mean either of them don't care what other people think
< sipa> i think it's fine for communities to use slack as a medium if they like to do so... i just don't think it should be 'officially' bitcoin core's slack
< gmaxwell> esotericnonsense: it can't be that without the most active developers involved, and at the time people with admin access there were behaving disrespectfully to these people. (Access is since changed.) None of us have much interest in wheel warring, if a venue has become unproductive for us to use, we won't use it. For something like a bitcoin tech discussion if the most active of the tech peo
< esotericnonsense> my interpretation was that this channel was for direct work on the bitcoin codebase whilst bitcoin-dev was for general bitcoin-related development e.g. wallets, merchant integration, etc
< gmaxwell> sipa: I don't think thats fair to say, -- a channel for bitcoin that hardly has any of the most active people isn't much of one.
< gmaxwell> StopAndDecrypt_: We used to use bitcoin-dev. Then one day Mike Hearn was a real jerk, in particular faulting wumpus for being 'indecisive', wumpus told him to cut it out, mike kept it up. Wumpus banned him. (so much for indecisive). Then out of nowhere jgarzik, who for who knows what reason still had access, unbanned mike hearn. So most of the developers simply left.
< achow101> it is arguably created by "Bitcoin Core"
< sipa> #bitcoin-dev is about bitcoin; #bitcoin-core-dev is about development of one specific software project
< StopAndDecrypt_> gmaxwell, difference between this and #bitcoin-dev ?
< gmaxwell> 17:54:01 < achow101> the slack channel is Bitcoin Core's slack channel.
< achow101> the slack channel is Bitcoin Core's slack channel. It's mostly for random shit, not development
< achow101> esotericnonsense: bitcoincore.org is the bitcoin core's website
< meshcollider> Yes, its the website given in the readme https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/README.md
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] promag opened pull request #11316: [qt] Add use available balance in send coins dialog (master...2017-09-add-use-available-balance) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11316

2017-09-12

< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mess110 opened pull request #11314: Add abortrescan RPC test (master...add-abortrescan-rpc-test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11314
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11310: [tests] Test listwallets RPC (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11310
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fb1f325 Cristian Mircea Messel: Add listwallets RPC test to multiwallet.py
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 96ac26e MarcoFalke: Merge #11310: [tests] Test listwallets RPC...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/cce94c518a46...96ac26e56627
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11311: travis: Revert default datadir check (master...Mf1709-travisDatadirRevert) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11311
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master cce94c5 MarcoFalke: Merge #11311: travis: Revert default datadir check...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa4fad9 MarcoFalke: travis: Revert default datadir check
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/801dd40666d1...cce94c518a46
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11311: travis: Revert default datadir check (master...Mf1709-travisDatadirRevert) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11311
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 801dd40 MarcoFalke: Merge #7142: Travis: Test build against system libs (& Qt4)...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6d2aac8 Luke Dashjr: Travis: Test build against system libs (& Qt4)
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8d82e13 Luke Dashjr: Travis: Remove bc tool from dependencies
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ce829855cfca...801dd40666d1
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #10691: Trivial: Properly comment about shutdown process in init.cpp file. (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10691
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ce82985 MarcoFalke: Merge #10691: Trivial: Properly comment about shutdown process in init.cpp file....
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 581c411 Kyuntae Ethan Kim: Properly comment about shutdown process in init.cpp file
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b148803b181e...ce829855cfca
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mess110 opened pull request #11310: [tests] Test listwallets RPC (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11310
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11264: [doc] Fix broken Markdown table in dependencies.md (master...dependencies-capitalization) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11264
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b148803 MarcoFalke: Merge #11264: [doc] Fix broken Markdown table in dependencies.md...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b8d91e0 practicalswift: [Docs] Fix broken Markdown table in dependencies.md. Cleanups....
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/c377feaad87f...b148803b181e
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11267: rpc: update cli for estimate*fee argument rename (master...2017_09_renamed_estimatefee_arg) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11267
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c377fea MarcoFalke: Merge #11267: rpc: update cli for estimate*fee argument rename...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5acd82d Wladimir J. van der Laan: rpc: make estimatesmartfee argument naming consistent with documentation...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 24697c4 Wladimir J. van der Laan: rpc: update cli for estimatefee argument rename...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b37cab65c63e...c377feaad87f
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b37cab6 MarcoFalke: Merge #11230: [tests] fixup dbcrash interaction with add_nodes()...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11230: [tests] fixup dbcrash interaction with add_nodes() (master...fixup_dbcrash) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11230
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8fdb6f9 John Newbery: [tests] fixup dbcrash interaction with add_nodes()
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b9bceaf1c081...b37cab65c63e
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] morcos opened pull request #11309: Minor cleanups for AcceptToMemoryPool (master...ATMP_cleanup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11309
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11230 | [tests] fixup dbcrash interaction with add_nodes() by jnewbery · Pull Request #11230 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11308: [qa] zapwallettxes: Wait up to 3s for mempool reload (master...Mf1709-qaZap3s) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11308
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11291 | Fix PEP8 warnings about formatting by dongsam · Pull Request #11291 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11307: wallet: Display non-HD error on first run (master...Mf1709-walletHDfirst) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11307
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] danra opened pull request #11306: Refactor: Move core files from src root to src/core and improve inclu… (master...refactor/core-files) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11306
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11305: [doc] Update release notes and manpages for 0.16 (master...Mf1709-doc016) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11305
< kallewoof> It's in AbortNode in validation.cpp so seems to be about bitcoin, yeah.

2017-09-11

< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa closed pull request #11252: [P2P] When clearing addrman clear mapInfo and mapAddr. (master...recreateaddrman) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11252
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b9bceaf Pieter Wuille: Merge #11252: [P2P] When clearing addrman clear mapInfo and mapAddr....
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b86a420 Gregory Sanders: when clearing addrman clear mapInfo and mapAddr
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/1afc22a7667a...b9bceaf1c081
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11304 | Вообще не понимаю как установить на linux kali · Issue #11304 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa closed pull request #11100: Fix confusing blockmax{size,weight} options, dont default to throwing away money (master...2017-08-sane-default-limits) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11100
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3dc263c Matt Corallo: Use a sensible default for blockmaxweight...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6f703e9 Matt Corallo: Add release notes describing blockmaxweight deprecation
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ba206d2 Matt Corallo: Deprecate confusing blockmaxsize, fix getmininginfo output...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa pushed 4 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/31e72b284ef5...1afc22a7667a
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #11303: Fix estimatesmartfee rounding display issue (master...2017-09-estimatesmartfee-round) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11303
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11268: [macOS] remove Growl support, remove unused code (master...2017/09/rm_growl) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11268
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 31e72b2 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11268: [macOS] remove Growl support, remove unused code...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f151f5f Jonas Schnelli: [macOS] remove Growl support, remove unused code
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/16e41844e7d6...31e72b284ef5
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11100 | Fix confusing blockmax{size,weight} options, dont default to throwing away money by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #11100 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift closed pull request #11261: scripted-diff: Use <cxxx> instead of deprecated <xxx.h> when including C compatibility headers (master...cinclude) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11261
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] benma opened pull request #11301: add m_added_nodes to connman options (master...addnode) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11301
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] benma closed pull request #10915: Refactor fRelayTxes global to CConnman member (master...fRelayTxes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10915
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11300: Tests: Add a lint check for trailing whitespace (master...201709_whitespace_lint) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11300
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mrwhythat opened pull request #11299: [WIP] Implement pruning to location (master...prune-to-location-option) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11299
< meshcollider> mryandao: It's all described here https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/blob/master/doc/release-process.md
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11289 | Add wallet backup text to import* and add* RPCs by MeshCollider · Pull Request #11289 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11297: Make sure ~/.bitcoin doesn't exist before build (master...201709_travis_delete_dir) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11297
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 16e4184 MarcoFalke: Merge #11297: Make sure ~/.bitcoin doesn't exist before build...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b73628d MeshCollider: Make sure ~/.bitcoin doesn't exist before build
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ee50c9e48786...16e41844e7d6
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11289 | Add wallet backup text to import* and add* RPCs by MeshCollider · Pull Request #11289 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< meshcollider> wumpus: 21630 failed again with the ~/.bitcoin issue
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider reopened pull request #11297: Make sure ~/.bitcoin doesn't exist before build (master...201709_travis_delete_dir) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11297
< earlz> thanks, I had similar thoughts last time I worked with coindb that it might be more expensive than expected, but not "can break bitcoin" or crash a node. I'll watch the presentation
< morcos> earlz: you can watch the presentation from breaking bitcoin today, but essentially the fact that the pre-0.15 utxo set stored unspent outputs per transaction meant that a new tx could pull in an input that was 1 of many outputs in a previous transaction
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider closed pull request #11297: Make sure ~/.bitcoin doesn't exist before build (master...201709_travis_delete_dir) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11297
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11289 | Add wallet backup text to import* and add* RPCs by MeshCollider · Pull Request #11289 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub

2017-09-10

< wumpus> bitcoin.org*
< wumpus> nah let's see, it'd be nice to add it to the release notes that are uploaded to bitcoin core
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10498 | Use static_cast instead of C-style casts for non-fundamental types by practicalswift · Pull Request #10498 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10489 | build: silence gcc7s implicit fallthrough warning by theuni · Pull Request #10489 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11289 | Add wallet backup text to import* and add* RPCs by MeshCollider · Pull Request #11289 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10498 | Use static_cast instead of C-style casts for non-fundamental types by practicalswift · Pull Request #10498 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< sipa> oh, perhaps it's due to a cache that existed from before the tests-do-not-touch-.bitcoin issue was merged?
< sipa> there are random travis failures, where at the end of the test, ~/.bitcoin exists... that PR solving something implies that ~/.bitcoin already exists at the start of the test run
< sipa> anyone a clue how https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11297 could be fixing an issue?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11295: doc: Old fee_estimates.dat are discarded by 0.15.0 (0.15...Mf1709-docFeeEst015) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11295
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11276: [Docs] Update CONTRIBUTING.md to reduce unnecessary review workload (master...2017/09/cont) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11276
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 91c39e3 Jonas Schnelli: Update CONTRIBUTRING.md to reduce unnecesarry review workload
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ee50c9e MarcoFalke: Merge #11276: [Docs] Update CONTRIBUTING.md to reduce unnecessary review workload...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/11dacc6154c4...ee50c9e48786
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11296: [0.14] travis: filter out pyenv (Cory Fields) (0.14...Mf1709-travisNoPyenv) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11296
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11297: Make sure ~/.bitcoin doesn't exist before build (master...201709_travis_delete_dir) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11297
< meshcollider> we're getting so many random travis failures from "if [ -d ~/.bitcoin ]; then false; fi"
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11296: [0.14] travis: filter out pyenv (0.14...Mf1709-travisNoPyenv) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11296
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11286: [depends] Don't build libevent sample code (master...dont-build-libevent-samples) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11286
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 11dacc6 MarcoFalke: Merge #11286: [depends] Don't build libevent sample code...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f38c051 fanquake: [depends] Don't build libevent sample code
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3255d6347b1f...11dacc6154c4
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11005: Tests: Add a lint check for trailing whitespace (master...whitespace) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11005
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11295: doc: Old fee_estimates.dat are discarded by 0.15.0 (0.15...Mf1709-docFeeEst015) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11295

2017-09-09

< nanotube> * #bitcoin-core-dev Banlist: Thu Aug 17 15:16:57 2017 *!*gribble@unaffiliated/nanotube/bot/gribble sipa!~pw@unaffiliated/sipa1024
< sipa> bane5000: no need to run as root, forwarding 8333 is perfectly fine but you'll need to configure your external ip address (-externalip=IP on cmdline, or externalip=IP in bitcoin.conf)
< bane5000> Hey guys, was thinking about running a bitcoin core p2p only headless server on debian. Just had a couple of questions regarding the online documentation... first of all, do you recommend running this as root? Would it be wiser to run the daemon as a separate user/group?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jamesob opened pull request #11293: Deduplicate CMerkleBlock construction code, add test coverage (master...dedup-cmerkleblock) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11293

2017-09-08

< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 5f2cf88 Pieter Wuille: Merge #11292: travis: filter out pyenv...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 0ced455 Cory Fields: travis: filter out pyenv
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa pushed 2 new commits to 0.15: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/adcc788f2a89...5f2cf88c2311
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa opened pull request #11292: travis: filter out pyenv (0.15...backport_11271) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11292
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongsam opened pull request #11291: Fix PEP8 warnings about formatting (master...Fix-PEP8-warnings) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11291
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa closed pull request #11285: Add -usehd to excluded args in check-doc.py (master...201709_fix_usehd_checkdocs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11285
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7d03418 MeshCollider: Add -usehd to excluded args in check-doc.py
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3255d63 Pieter Wuille: Merge #11285: Add -usehd to excluded args in check-doc.py...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipa pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/c22a53cd6351...3255d6347b1f
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11289: Add wallet backup text to import* and add* RPCs (master...201709_add_help_text) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11289
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11288: More user-friendly error message when partially signing (master...201709_partial_sign_error) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11288
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] danra opened pull request #11287: DRY config header inclusion (master...refactor/dry-config) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11287
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #11286: [depends] Don't build libevent sample code (master...dont-build-libevent-samples) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11286
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11285: Add -usehd to excluded args in check-doc.py (master...201709_fix_usehd_checkdocs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11285
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ajtowns opened pull request #11284: Fix invalid memory access in CScript::operator+= (master...cscript_insert) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11284
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11250: Bump wallet version to 159900 and remove the `usehd` option (master...bump-wallet-version) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11250
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c22a53c Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11250: Bump wallet version to 159900 and remove the `usehd` option...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 713a920 Andrew Chow: Remove usehd option and warn when it is used...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d4c18f7 Andrew Chow: Bump wallet version number to 159900
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/791a0e6ddade...c22a53cd6351
< meshcollider> something like this fine then? https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11280
< midnightmagic> jonasschnelli: Yes. That SF bitcoin meetup is perfect. That's neat that peter todd stuffed a blockchain hash into his signature in a certificate notation. I wonder if I'm the only one that's actually checked that. :-)
< jonasschnelli> There is a rescan RPC call PR: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/7061
< jonasschnelli> There will soon be a video from the SF bitcoin dev meetup with my key fingerprint on the slides.

2017-09-07

< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #10767: [wallet] Clarify wallet initialization / destruction interface (master...walletinit2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10767
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2da5eaf John Newbery: [wallet] Add FlushWallets() function to wallet/init.cpp
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1b9cee6 John Newbery: [wallet] Rename WalletVerify() to VerifyWallets()...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9c76ba1 John Newbery: [wallet] Rename InitLoadWallet() to OpenWallets()...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 9 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/efb4383ef6c6...791a0e6ddade
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli opened pull request #11281: Avoid pemanent cs_main/cs_wallet lock during RescanFromTime (master...2017/09/rescan_locks) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11281
< wumpus> can people please review https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11280? (final release notes updates for 0.15.0)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10793: Changing &var[0] to var.data() (master...prefer-vector-data) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10793
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master efb4383 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10793: Changing &var[0] to var.data()...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 592404f MeshCollider: Changing &vec[0] to vec.data(), what 9804 missed
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/723e5806578b...efb4383ef6c6
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10756: net processing: swap out signals for an interface class (master...no-net-signals2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10756
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MeshCollider opened pull request #11280: [0.15] Final to-do's for 0.15.0 release notes (0.15...201709_release_note_015_todo) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11280
< meshcollider> is that basically putting https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11249 into the release notes
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11279: doc: Add missing contributors to release notes (0.15...Mf1708-doc015rel) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11279
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 adcc788 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11279: doc: Add missing contributors to release notes...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 fad16a9 MarcoFalke: doc: Add missing contributors to release notes...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to 0.15: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d4c9d00e7e79...adcc788f2a89
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #11279: doc: Add missing contributors to release notes (0.15...Mf1708-doc015rel) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11279
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 638e6c5 MarcoFalke: Merge #11271: travis: filter out pyenv...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11271: travis: filter out pyenv (master...travis-fix-pyenv) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11271
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/52f8877525d5...638e6c59da4f
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master aa2e0f0 Cory Fields: travis: filter out pyenv
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.15 d4c9d00 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Add PRs list to release notes...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 new commit to 0.15: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/commit/d4c9d00e7e79958dea9586f927778dba2be8230a
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ryanofsky opened pull request #11277: Fix uninitialized URI in batch RPC requests (master...pr/mb) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11277
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11274: [tests] Cleanup wildcard imports in functional tests (master...cleanup-wildcard-in-functional-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11274
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11205: Make fixed CAmounts and related sanity function constexpr (master...refactor/constexpr-amount) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11205
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli opened pull request #11276: Update CONTRIBUTRING.md to reduce unnecesarry review workload (master...2017/09/cont) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11276
< sipa> kyzeeruz: #bitcoin please
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] mess110 opened pull request #11274: [tests] Cleanup wildcard imports in functional tests (master...cleanup-wildcard-in-functional-tests) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11274
< kyzeeruz> Is there any possible to use an old computer as a main miner to generate bitcoin?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Xekyo opened pull request #11273: WIP: Ignore old format estimation file (master...ignoreOldFeeEstimates) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11273
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli opened pull request #11272: CKeystore/CCrypter: move relevant implementation out of the header (master...2017/09/wallet_refact) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11272
< kyzeeruz> I want to create and build a bitcoin web game or either transforming an online game while playing earn a real bitcoin on it live online.
< meshcollider> I think you're in the wrong channel, try #bitcoin :)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] rawodb closed pull request #11177: Support for SegWit Addresses in RPC calls and change addresses (master...pr/rpc_getsegwitaddresses) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11177
< kyzeeruz> Is there somebody can give me a free web link to learn bitcoin coding?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11245: [0.15] Mention offscreen issue in release notes (0.15...201709_offscreen_release_note) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11245
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11270: travis: Use deprecated trusty image (master...2017_09_travis_deprecated_image) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11270
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] theuni opened pull request #11271: travis: filter out pyenv (master...travis-fix-pyenv) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11271
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #11260: travis: Assert default datadir isn't created, Run scripted diff only once (master...Mf1708-travisYaml) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11260
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 52f8877 MarcoFalke: Merge #11260: travis: Assert default datadir isn't created, Run scripted diff only once...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa40b0e MarcoFalke: travis: Assert default datadir isn't created, Run scripted diff only once
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e6ab88a4524a...52f8877525d5
< wumpus> so if everyone is ok with the pull list in https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-devwiki/wiki/Pulls-listing-for-0.15.0-(temporary) I'm going to paste it into the relnotes for 0.15.0 and tag final, if anyone still plans on looking through it (to find misattributions and such) let me know
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10916: add missing lock to crypter GetKeys() (master...GetKeys) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10916
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e6ab88a Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10916: add missing lock to crypter GetKeys()...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fe09b01 Marko Bencun: add missing lock to crypter GetKeys()...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5cb3da0 Marko Bencun: keystore GetKeys(): return result instead of writing to reference...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2f0d3e604aa9...e6ab88a4524a
< MarcoFalke> cfields: With group edge `pyenv versions` is empty: https://travis-ci.org/MarcoFalke/bitcoin/jobs/273047509/config
< jonasschnelli> Yes. The segfault things is ugly... it seems to happen for self-compiled Bitcoin-Qts only. So it could be a Qt5.5 bug. Couldn't track it down so far
< jtimon> any talks about creating a testnet for developing and testing signature aggregation? (shameless escuse to review beg https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/8994 )
< kanzure> also jonasschnelli gave a talk on bip150 and bip151 the other day http://diyhpl.us/wiki/transcripts/sf-bitcoin-meetup/2017-09-04-jonas-schenlli-bip150-bip151/
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11232: Ensure that data types are consistent (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11232
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2f0d3e6 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11232: Ensure that data types are consistent...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 061297f jjz: Ensure that data types are consistent...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e7f125562fbb...2f0d3e604aa9
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11237: qt: Fixing division by zero in time remaining (master...201709_fix_estimated_time) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11237
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e7f1255 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #11237: qt: Fixing division by zero in time remaining...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c8d38ab MeshCollider: Refactor tipUpdate as per style guide
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3b69a08 MeshCollider: Fix division by zero in time remaining
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a3624ddb1a3b...e7f125562fbb
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #11270: travis: Use deprecated trusty image (master...2017_09_travis_deprecated_image) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11270
< gmaxwell> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] donaloconnor opened pull request #11269: [Trivial Fix] CTxMemPoolEntry::UpdateAncestorState: modifySiagOps param type (master...fix_params_branch) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11269
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli opened pull request #11268: [macOS] remove Growl support, remove unused code (master...2017/09/rm_growl) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11268
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli closed pull request #11156: Fix memory leaks in qt/guiutil.cpp (master...fix/qt-guiutil-memory-leaks) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11156
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9b348ff Dan Raviv: Fix memory leaks in qt/guiutil.cpp...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a3624dd Jonas Schnelli: Merge #11156: Fix memory leaks in qt/guiutil.cpp...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ea729d55b4db...a3624ddb1a3b
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke reopened pull request #10748: [config] Help text cleanup (master...helptextcleanup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10748
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli closed pull request #10770: Drop upgrade-cancel callback registration for a generic "cancelable" (master...2017-07-upgrade-cancel-nits) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10770
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ea729d5 Jonas Schnelli: Merge #10770: Drop upgrade-cancel callback registration for a generic "cancelable"...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ee4d149 Matt Corallo: Drop upgrade-cancel callback registration for a generic "resumeable"...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9c8f3655cc68...ea729d55b4db
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj opened pull request #11267: rpc: update cli for estimatefee argument rename (master...2017_09_renamed_estimatefee_arg) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11267
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli closed pull request #10911: [qt] Fix typo and access key in optionsdialog.ui (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10911
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master d2be7b2 James Evans: Typo in optionsdialog.ui...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9c8f365 Jonas Schnelli: Merge #10911: [qt] Fix typo and access key in optionsdialog.ui...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2a56baf395bf...9c8f3655cc68
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #10748: [config] Help text cleanup (master...helptextcleanup) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10748
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #10731: Escape rather than remove any printable characters in UAs (master...log_more_uacomment) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10731
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #11264: [doc] Fix broken Markdown table in dependencies.md (master...dependencies-capitalization) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11264
< meshcollider> can someone with travis powers restart the failed one here, should be unrelated: https://travis-ci.org/bitcoin/bitcoin/jobs/272710677
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke closed pull request #10682: Trivial: Move the AreInputsStandard documentation next to its implementation (master...move-doc) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10682
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2a56baf MarcoFalke: Merge #10682: Trivial: Move the AreInputsStandard documentation next to its implementation...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ca67ddf esneider: Move the AreInputsStandard documentation next to its implementation
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f65614726de2...2a56baf395bf
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #10779: Create dependencies.md (master...patch-2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10779
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f656147 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #10779: Create dependencies.md...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e91b961 flack: Create dependencies.md, and link dependencies file from README & build docs
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 new commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/645a7ecc0b8d...f65614726de2
< meshcollider> wumpus: re https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/10793#discussion_r137361636 did you want me to change it?

2017-09-06

< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj closed pull request #11125: Add bitcoin-cli -stdin and -stdinrpcpass functional tests (master...2017-08-stdinrpcpass-functional-test) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/11125
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5c18a84 João Barbosa: [test] Add support for custom arguments to TestNodeCLI
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e127494 João Barbosa: [test] Improve assert_raises_jsonrpc docstring