< cfields> oh, i guess the port doesn't go over the wire for A/AAA queries anyway
< BlueMatt> cfields: yea, was gonna say, since when is there a *port* in dns queries?
< BlueMatt> I mean there's the stupid bullshit query stuff, but no one uses that garbage
< echeveria> BlueMatt: when I do a AAAA lookup there's lots of ports.
< BlueMatt> .........
< cfields> BlueMatt: yea, I was going by getaddrinfo and a bad reading of its man page. A look at the spec says otherwise, ofc.
< echeveria> not like we use non-standard ports
< luke-jr> A/AAAA doesn't support ports
< luke-jr> you need to use SRV (which does get used for other things) for that
< cfields> luke-jr: right
< BlueMatt> i mean not really...who the fuck uses SRV? Aside from SIP, apparently
< luke-jr> XMPP at least
< BlueMatt> lol who uses XMPP
< luke-jr> anyone who likes IM and open standards?
< BlueMatt> soooo...no one?
< luke-jr> lots of people
< * luke-jr> looks at his contact list since Google broke standards compatibility
< luke-jr> ok, just my family
< luke-jr> :|
< BlueMatt> see? no one who cares enough about open standards to buck their social media trends uses IM cause they're all already using irc :p
< * booyah> uses XMPP. and got some family and coworkers and friends on it ;)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] achow101 opened pull request #12136: Implement BIP 174 Partially Signed Bitcoin Transactions (master...psbt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12136
< meshcollider> Wow lots of cool PRs opening today \o/
< * Randolf> takes a look at the PRs...
< battulga> Hello there! I'm a newbee here to seek you guys's counsel :)
< battulga> where i should look at first
< battulga> is there anyone?
< sipa> cfields: port?
< cfields> sipa: see follow-up. I misread what actually goes over the wire.
< sipa> ok
< wacawacawaca>
< JayBerg> hey guys - do you need help with qt for segwit?
< JayBerg> my latest QT/bitcoin project: https://github.com/SatoshiFantasy/--skillSale
< JayBerg> /test
< provoostenator> More specific to SegWit are #11403, #11937 and #11991.
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11403 | SegWit wallet support by sipa · Pull Request #11403 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11937 | Qt: Setting for deciding address type (legacy, p2sh or bech32) by hsjoberg · Pull Request #11937 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11991 | [qt] Receive: checkbox for bech32 address by Sjors · Pull Request #11991 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< JayBerg> any talk on moving to QML instead of widgets?
< JayBerg> i appeciate the issues tracker, and will take a look… its just that i spend all day coding QT for bitcoin/blockchain and have lots of code an insight that can help if there are big blocking issues etc. jay at protoblock dot com
< sipa> JayBerg: review and testing are always the bottlenecks ;)
< promag> JayBerg: problem with QML is JS engine
< JayBerg> Sipa: so your saying there is an implimentation already? maybe best bet would be to fork and create a new wallet outside of core… segwit has been ready for years.. cant see major issues with qt front end..
< promag> something that most don't want to see
< JayBerg> promag: no need to use JS in qml
< JayBerg> promag: ok for security reasons?
< promag> JayBerg: probably there is more interest in something like #10973
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10973 | Refactor: separate wallet from node by ryanofsky · Pull Request #10973 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< promag> JayBerg: reasons :)
< JayBerg> its not like QML will run client side JS from internet … we see all the source… unless im missing something… c++ can do everyhting js can do ?
< promag> JayBerg: can you list pros of a qml wallet? I like qml, but I don't see why would it change
< JayBerg> qml will solve those display issues with differnt dpis
< promag> little issue to justify a big refactor
< sipa> JayBerg: segwit support for the bitcoin core *wallet* is the issue; UI will work automatically
< JayBerg> widgets is old buggy and no longer used
< sipa> there's nothing special that needs to be done in the UI
< JayBerg> ok sipa what is the issue? so what is a “wallet” if not thegui
< promag> JayBerg: that's not true, even QtCreator is widget based
< sipa> JayBerg: the logic that determines which transactions are yours, construct paymemts, keep track of your balance, can import keys, ...
< JayBerg> sipa - is there a cli for sending segwit in core?
< JayBerg> or creating segwit tx ?
< sipa> JayBerg: all part of #11403
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11403 | SegWit wallet support by sipa · Pull Request #11403 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< sipa> there was rudimentary support before, but it is not user friendly (it needed manual rpc calls to construct addresses etc; enough for testing, but not for users)
< JayBerg> ok - im assuming bech32 - is not included with “segwit support” - to much at once
< JayBerg> ok will take a look.. and brb
< sipa> bech32 is already merged in master
< promag> sipa: regarding #11991
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11991 | [qt] Receive: checkbox for bech32 address by Sjors · Pull Request #11991 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< promag> ping provoostenator
< promag> assuming bech32 is the default address type, it would be annoying always having the checkbox disabled there don't you think?
< promag> again, assuming bech32 is the default address type, does it make sense to create a payment to other address type?
< instagibbs> promag, "make a payment"?
< sipa> i think it will be years before p2sh witness won't be needed anymore
< instagibbs> err "create a payment"
< promag> for instance, receive a payment from an older wallet?
< sipa> promag: yes, exavtly that
< instagibbs> it will accept those, yes
< sipa> not every wallet software is going to support bech32 immediately
< promag> so, the wallet must allow a p2sh address in the UI
< promag> instagibbs: ya sorry, bad writing
< promag> so the checkbox is not an option
< sipa> hmmm
< sipa> ?
< sipa> what is wrong with that
< promag> with -addresstype=bech32 how can I request a payment for p2sh?
< sipa> by specifying it explicitly
< sipa> i'm confused :)
< sipa> -addresstype only sets the default, it doesn't force anything
< sipa> for the GUI i would expect that -addresstype maybe controls what the checkbox is set to by default
< promag> but with -addresstype=bech32 the checkbox is disabled
< sipa> oh, i haven't looked at any GUI prs
< promag> So with -addresstype=bech32 there is no way to request payment to p2sh
< sipa> that is bad :)
< owowo> very bad.
< JayBerg> b
< JayBerg> i have 20+ years of c++ for fintech.. and would love to contribute to bitcoin-core.. I just cant seem to find the time. however, half my time is for outside consulting gigs to pay bills, so if there are any bounties or paid consulting gigs that will allow me to contribute. im all ears.. otherwise, i should be able to contribute starting mid-Feburary (after Super Bowl)
< cfields> jonasschnelli: ping. mind going ahead and grabbing a temp codesigning key just in case?
< jonasschnelli> cfields: okay. Will do
< jonasschnelli> cfields: do you want to provide the CSR (aka hold the key)
< jonasschnelli> I guess you already do that for the current signing cert?
< cfields> jonasschnelli: I was going to suggest that you just do it, but I guess it doesn't make sense for us to additively hold up releases :(
< cfields> (though hopefully it will only be used ~once anyway)
< cfields> so.. I guess so
< cfields> jonasschnelli: will you be available for ~an hour? I'm going to try to create the CSR by hand as if for the threshold key
< jonasschnelli> cfields: Yes. I'm around for 1h. Okay... let me create one then
< jimpo> If anyone feels like reading some code, I'm looking for reviews on #11857
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11857 | Build tx index in parallel with validation by jimpo · Pull Request #11857 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< cfields> jonasschnelli: heh, not sure what the plan is. Are you creating the CSR or me?
< jonasschnelli> cfields: sorry.. was off for some minutes... I dunno. What is preferable, I do it are you?
< jonasschnelli> I can hold the key in a relatively secure env... though not cold
< cfields> jonasschnelli: ok, sounds good to me
< jonasschnelli> cfields: okay. will do in the evening... (in 10h)
< cfields> jonasschnelli: if you happen to have it handy, could you go ahead and gen the key so that I can sign a message with the pubkey?
< cfields> If it's not convenient, no problem
< jonasschnelli> cfields: Okay. I have the key and the csr
< cfields> jonasschnelli: oh, perfect. If you send me the csr I can just grab the pubkey out of it
< jonasschnelli> Okay... comes per email
< cfields> thanks!
< jonasschnelli> The CRS or the CRT?
< jonasschnelli> *CSR
< jonasschnelli> I guess the cert hold the pkey... so the CSR
< cfields> oh heh, you already got a crt?
< cfields> yes, the csr. The crt should just be a cert containing the pubkey, signed by apple
< jonasschnelli> cfields: okay. Sent you the crt.
< jonasschnelli> Yes. I have also done the whole process (it's pretty easy nowadays).-
< cfields> got it. Thanks again!
< cfields> sorry for the rush, I'm hoping I can figure out how to get apple's timestamp server to sign something arbitrary before our cert expires
< jonasschnelli> cfields: no need to be sorry. :)
< jonasschnelli> Tell me also if you need more.
< jonasschnelli> I'm on/off today... so expect a delay
< cfields> no worries
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] TheBlueMatt opened pull request #12138: Track best-possible-headers (master...2017-10-best-header-tracking) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/12138
< BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: if you ever want to revive your spv mode patch, you'll probably want that ^
< jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: thanks... will have a look.
< promag_> BlueMatt: #11041 is calling for you
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11041 | Add LookupBlockIndex by promag · Pull Request #11041 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< jonasschnelli> I think the whole light client (SPV) mode needs discussion firsat
< jonasschnelli> *first
< BlueMatt> promag: I know, I know
< instagibbs> it's not that "light" :)
< jonasschnelli> instagibbs: you mean in regards of the code diff size? :)
< jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: 12138 pr description looks wrong formated
< BlueMatt> jonasschnelli: cause I copied from a comment in the code....picky picky ya'll
< jonasschnelli> BlueMatt: PR description is advertisement! You need to win some reviewers with it. :)
< BlueMatt> if that's our model of review I think we're screwed....
< jonasschnelli> heh,... that's indeed true.
< * BlueMatt> glares at #10984
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10984 | Allow 2 simultaneous (compact-)block downloads by TheBlueMatt · Pull Request #10984 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< promag> forever alone #12083
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/12083 | Improve getchaintxstats test coverage by promag · Pull Request #12083 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub