< wumpus> why does fuzzing disable all other targets?
< wumpus> if it's a matter of compile flags we could only pass those for the fuzzing binaries i suppose?
< sipa> wumpus: every object has to be compiled with fuzzing enabled
< sipa> if you do, nothing but the fuzz binary makes any sense
< sipa> i have a separate worktree for fuzz builds
< sipa> because it's so exclusive with everything else
< sipa> (it needs a separate ./configure)
< wumpus> sipa: hmm we could compile every object twice in that case i guess
< sipa> i asked cfields before if it was possible to have a separate target for every object with fuzzing enabled
< sipa> but he said it was hard
< wumpus> that would make sense, i mean this keeps coming up
< sipa> my biggest gripe with the fuzz builds is that it's impossible to even do any compilation of the fuzz code without a separate configure step
< sipa> after merging them all in one binary it'd be easy to permit building the fuzz binary without fuzzing enabled, though
< wumpus> making say the fuzz objects .fuzz.o would also prevent them accidentally being linked into a non-fuzz binary (or the other wayr around)
< wumpus> yes, that might help
< sipa> it'd be great if we could have a .fuzz.o for everything
< sipa> not sure how much work it is
< wumpus> i trust cfields is right that this is hard to realize with auto* build system for some reason
< sipa> we could even make a "dummy" fuzz binary when building without fuzzing that can only run existing seeds through the fuzz tests
< sipa> which would mean you can do the CI fuzz things without separate build
< aj> sipa: ooo! that's a good idea!
< * sipa> suggests calling it phonyfuzz
< aj> phuzz
< aj> faux+fuzz=fauzz?
< fanquake> .PHONY
< wumpus> let's try to merge #20560 soon then
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20560 | fuzz: Link all targets once by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #20560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/0038ce97584f...17918a987aee
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7d0271b Russell Yanofsky: depends: Set CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH for native packages
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 17918a9 fanquake: Merge #20046: depends: Set CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH for native packages
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #20046: depends: Set CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH for native packages (master...pr/ipc-rpath) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20046
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/17918a987aee...054710615c5e
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ae9b489 fanquake: contrib: add symbol check test for PE
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0547106 fanquake: Merge #20608: contrib: add symbol check test for PE binaries
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #20608: contrib: add symbol check test for PE binaries (master...symbol_check_test_pe) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20608
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 6 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/054710615c5e...f5b2ea3e5918
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5805b82 John Newbery: [net processing] Move PushNodeVersion into PeerManager
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f3f61d0 John Newbery: [net processing] Add IgnoresIncomingTxs() function to PeerManager
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4d510aa John Newbery: [init] Use MakeUnique<> to construct peerman
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20217: net: Remove g_relay_txes (master...2020-10-remove-grelaytxes) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20217
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f5b2ea3e5918...22f13c1e088e
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 30bc8fa Sebastian Falbesoner: net: save high-bandwidth mode states in CNodeStats
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a7ed00f Sebastian Falbesoner: rpc: expose high-bandwidth mode states via getpeerinfo
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master dab6583 Sebastian Falbesoner: doc: release note for new getpeerinfo fields "bip152_hb_{from,to}"
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #19776: net, rpc: expose high bandwidth mode state via getpeerinfo (master...20200821-rpc-expose-high-handwidth-mode-state-via-getpeerinfo) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19776
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/22f13c1e088e...38176dc66523
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ce207d6 Jon Atack: wallet, bugfix: allow send to take string fee rate values
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6fa72ce Jon Atack: test: add coverage for passing fee rate as a string
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 38176dc MarcoFalke: Merge #20573: wallet, bugfix: allow send with string fee_rate amounts
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20573: wallet, bugfix: allow send with string fee_rate amounts (master...send-allow-feerates-as-strings) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20573
< az0re> What is the proper way to get the amount of a CTxIn?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jarolrod opened pull request #20610: doc: update for NetBSD 9.1, add GUI Build Instructions (master...netbsd-docs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20610
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/38176dc66523...c8fdbb46bd92
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 904d875 Andrew Poelstra: configure: output notice that test binary is disabled by fuzzing
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c8fdbb4 MarcoFalke: Merge #20609: configure: output notice that test binary is disabled by fuz...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20609: configure: output notice that test binary is disabled by fuzzing (master...2020-12--fuzz-config-output) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20609
< jonasschnelli> curios to know: why do we have nPruneAfterHeight (a minimum height for pruning)?
< az0re> Alternatively, how should I get a CTxOut from a COutPoint (e.g., from CTxIn::prevout)?
< sipa> az0re: look it up in the UTXO set
< az0re> ELI5 please :)
< az0re> To be more specific, how best to do it from within validation.cpp?
< az0re> (I am new to the Bitcoin codebase and would appreciate some tips on the most relevant data structures)
< aj> az0re: there's a "gettxout" rpc call, you could look at how it's implemented in rpc/blockchain.cpp; or similar for "getrawtransaction" if you want to lookup the blockchain rather than the utxo set
< az0re> OK roger that I'll check them out
< az0re> Thanks
< az0re> Actually I think Consensus::CheckTxInputs() did the trick for me. Looks like I need a CCoinsViewCache, then get a Coin from it with CCoinsViewCache::AccessCoin(), and can get the CTxOut from Coin::out
< sipa> az0re: yeah, pretty much
< sipa> where to get that cache depends on the context
< sipa> if you need to include mempool UTXOs as well it's a bitndifferent
< az0re> Hmmm...
< sipa> the gettxout RPC supports both with and without mempool
< sipa> so you can use that as an example
< az0re> I see, thanks
< jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: functional tests: when calling assert_start_raises_init_error, the node checks for a few seconds for an RPC connection (bitcoind started, waiting for RPC to come up). Would it be possible to detect a shutdown and init error rather then polling RPC?
< jonasschnelli> (would save some seconds)
< wumpus> it's definitely possible to detect with subprocess that the child processes exited
< wumpus> or wait for it to exit, even with a timeout
< jonasschnelli> hmm... our testframework calls "if self.process.poll() is not None:"... I guess that should detect the halted process
< jonasschnelli> (but it doesn't)
< jonasschnelli> or it does but the timeout is too large
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20611: Move TX_MAX_STANDARD_VERSION to policy (master...2012-mvTxStandardVersion) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20611
< jonasschnelli> it's a race
< wumpus> dunno--fwiw there's .poll() which polls if the process is still running and .wait(timeout) that waits
< wumpus> the preferable thing, if no RPC interaction is neccesary, would be to wait, no need for periodic polling
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/c8fdbb46bd92...eb53c03b3680
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 39c42c4 Pieter Wuille: Improve heuristic hex transaction decoding
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0f949cd Pieter Wuille: Add regression test for incorrect decoding
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master eb53c03 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #20595: Improve heuristic hex transaction decoding
< wumpus> when any kind of RPC interaction is necessary there's no other option than to poll until it becomes available, there's no way to asynchronously be notified that 'RPC is up'
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20595: Improve heuristic hex transaction decoding (master...202012_fancy_tx_hex_decode) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20595
< wumpus> (maybe there should be)
< wumpus> although honestly I have no idea how to fit that best into the POSIX process model
< wumpus> hm I guess bitcoind could print some token to stdout / stderr that is detected by the connected parent process and taken as signal that RPC is running
< wumpus> alternatively it'd be possible to pass, say, in an additional file descriptor for signaling but that probably gets too fiddly
< promag> fanquake: ping?
< MarcoFalke> jonasschnelli: removing the rpc polling from assert_start_raises_init_error is a good idea
< MarcoFalke> we have intermittent issues due to that
< fanquake> promag: hi
< MarcoFalke> removing rpc from the equation should make everything more stable, but I am not sure how easy it is to implement
< MarcoFalke> if `assert_start_raises_init_error` fails, you'll have to use the rpc to use "stop"
< jonasschnelli> MarcoFalke: Agree. Though I'm not touching it for now. Happy if someone wants to take a closer look.
< MarcoFalke> or are the nodes shut down with SIGKILL? I don't remember
< promag> fanquake: I have an issue, not sure how to proceed. see https://github.com/icota/bitcoin/commit/683710e072eb90296ae5a57f53bce7cac799fc41
< jonasschnelli> I don't think that we test for SIGKILL
< promag> fanquake: I'll comment there
< MarcoFalke> Everything ready for rc3?
< MarcoFalke> Who is doing the backports? Happy to do them if no one is working on it yet
< MarcoFalke> fanquake: wumpus: ^
< fanquake> MarcoFalke: I was just waiting for the last few merges. Happy for you to do if you want. I’m afk for an hour or so
< fanquake> Promag: thanks, I’ll take a look tonight
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20612: [0.21] final rc3 backports (0.21...2012-finalRc3Backports) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20612
< MarcoFalke> done ^
< wumpus> MarcoFalke: I think we don't use the signals in the RPC tests because windows; I guess though it could start polling RPC only after the process didn't shut down as expected after a certain timeout
< wumpus> MarcoFalke: thanks
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/eb53c03b3680...dcff2ee1fbf4
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faefa5d MarcoFalke: log: Clarify that failure to write fee_estimates.dat is non-fatal
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa0d835 MarcoFalke: log: Clarify that failure to read fee_estimates.dat is non-fatal
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master dcff2ee Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #20589: log: Clarify that failure to read/write fee_estimates.dat is...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20589: log: Clarify that failure to read/write fee_estimates.dat is non-fatal (master...2012-logFeeest) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20589
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/dcff2ee1fbf4...e20b488395c1
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 34c80d9 Wladimir J. van der Laan: test: Add option to git-subtree-check to do full check, add help
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e20b488 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #20567: test: Add option to git-subtree-check to do full check, add ...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20567: test: Add option to git-subtree-check to do full check, add help (master...2020_12_subtree_check) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20567
< promag> hebasto: thanks, will try it
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20613: test: Use Popen.wait instead of RPC in assert_start_raises_init_error (master...2012-testFastFailInitError) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20613
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e20b488395c1...8e1f9d62731c
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 206f74e João Barbosa: Support make src/bitcoin-node and src/bitcoin-gui
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 8e1f9d6 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #20549: Support make src/bitcoin-node and src/bitcoin-gui
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20549: Support make src/bitcoin-node and src/bitcoin-gui (master...2020-12-make-bitcoin-node) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20549
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/8e1f9d62731c...86f20071931b
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c96d1f6 Hennadii Stepanov: build, refactor: Check that Homebrew's qt5 package is actually installed
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ee7b84e Hennadii Stepanov: build: Use Homebrew's sqlite package if it is available
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master c932e0d Hennadii Stepanov: doc: Update wallet database installation guide for macOS
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jonasschnelli merged pull request #20527: build: Do not ignore Homebrew's SQLite on macOS (master...201129-sqlite) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20527
< hebasto> promag: the combined branch for qml static builds https://github.com/hebasto/bitcoin/commits/201210-qml
< sdaftuar> MarcoFalke: can you tell me your thoughts on how close #19858 is to be merged? 3 PRs that conflict with it have been merged since it was acked 4 times, so i'm trying to rebase and get re-review before this happens again
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19858 | Periodically make block-relay connections and sync headers by sdaftuar · Pull Request #19858 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< sdaftuar> but if it will be a while i can hold off on pestering people
< MarcoFalke> sdaftuar: I explictly held back on merging the conflicting prs. I simply didn't get the notification last night from GitHub that you rebased it
< sdaftuar> ah, thanks for the effort
< sdaftuar> so i should go ahead then with my rebase and re-pester plan
< MarcoFalke> Yes, I think the re-ACKs shouldn't be too difficult
< MarcoFalke> Not sure why no one has re-ACKed it in the last 9 days
< sdaftuar> gleb reacked last night
< sdaftuar> or this morning i guess
< sdaftuar> MarcoFalke: if you do think it close, would you mind commenting on the PR that you think it would be ready for merge once it gets some re-acks? so that other reviewers know their time will be well spent getting it across the finihs line
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/86f20071931b...b76abae387b9
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 32045bb wodry: [doc] Tidy up Tor doc (more stringent)
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b76abae Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #20587: [doc] Tidy up Tor doc (more stringent)
< sdaftuar> (after i rbease and repush anyway)
< MarcoFalke> sdaftuar: Ok, I'll leave a comment
< sdaftuar> thank you!
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20587: [doc] Tidy up Tor doc (more stringent) (master...patch-2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20587
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors opened pull request #20614: util: RunCommandParseJSON followups (master...2020/12/build-aux) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20614
< promag> hebasto: does the branch work for you?
< hebasto> promag: `make -C depends qt HOST=x86_64-apple-darwin18` ends with `Caching qt...` that means ok. Have you a problem with it?
< promag> did it build qt quick controls?
< hebasto> checking...
< queip> the "score" field in getnetworkinfo, what does it actually mean? we are confused about it trying to provide support to user in #bitcoin . Could RPC help xxx command include short explanation for the outputed JSON fields for most commands?
< promag> hebasto: do you have qml/QtQuick/Controls.2 dir in the build dir?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20615: cirrus: Schedule one task with paid credits for faster CI feedback (master...2012-ciFasterFeedback) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20615
< hebasto> promag: sorry (took my wrong branch), missed staging commands, updating...
< hebasto> promag: please check updated branch
< hebasto> promag: I think `libqtquick2plugin.a` is that what we want, right?
< hebasto> also built `libQt5Quick.a` `libQt5Qml.a`
< promag> I think its missing qt quick controls lib
< promag> hebasto: the thing is we must run qmake on qtquickcontrols after qtquick install
< hebasto> hmm, why `make -C depends HOST=x86_64-apple-darwin18` (in my branch) ends without any problem with all required static libraries built?
< promag> hebasto: not sure, but the suspect is "../qtbase/bin/qmake qtquickcontrols2.pro -o Makefile"
< promag> that qmake doesn't find qtquick
< sdaftuar> vasild: i am trying to restart the appveyor test in #19763, but i think maybe someone cancelled the build? i'm a bit confused
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19763 | net: dont try to relay to the address originator by vasild · Pull Request #19763 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< vasild> I did not cancel it, maybe it got confused somehow by my push of a previous commit?
< hebasto> promag: for which platform are you trying to build depends?
< sdaftuar> i will try again
< promag> hebasto: for my host, macos
< hebasto> which macos version?
< sdaftuar> vasild: ok i'm out of my depth on trying to get the appveyor or cirrus-ci builds to re-run
< vasild> sdaftuar: if nothing else works, I can always make some minor whitespace change and re-push, but lets wait for all to complete first and see if somebody will have a better idea
< sdaftuar> yeah, sounds good
< promag> hebasto: Some of the required modules (qtHaveModule(quick)) are not available. \n Skipped.
< hebasto> promag: thanks! I see this message on Big Sur.
< promag> not on linux?
< hebasto> on linux too ((
< promag> ok good, at least we are on the same page :D
< promag> fanquake: cfields: do you see problems using qt single archive instead of separate modules?
< promag> download a bigger archive VS more complicated build script
< ariard> sdaftuar: jonatack and I just re-ack #19858 but please ping again if there is a new rebase to deal with it, this PR has been in limbo for too long :)
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19858 | Periodically make block-relay connections and sync headers by sdaftuar · Pull Request #19858 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< sdaftuar> ariard: thank you!
< jonatack> I don't recall being able to restart appveyor, it always seemed more like a "game over, re-push to replay" thing. The cirrus builds can be restarted...ISTM they restart on their own after a while (unsure)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] lontivero opened pull request #20616: Check CJDNS address is valid (master...validate-cjdns-addresses) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20616
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b76abae387b9...da957cd62ecc
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa918dd MarcoFalke: test: Use Popen.wait instead of RPC in assert_start_raises_init_error
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master da957cd MarcoFalke: Merge #20613: test: Use Popen.wait instead of RPC in assert_start_raises_i...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20613: test: Use Popen.wait instead of RPC in assert_start_raises_init_error (master...2012-testFastFailInitError) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20613
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ariard opened pull request #20617: p2p: Remove m_is_manual_connection from CNodeState (master...2020-12-remove-is-manual-connection) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20617
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 12 commits to 0.21: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/aa4b8ebfecdd...3fee499bc3af
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.21 9e80688 Pieter Wuille: Don't send 'sendaddrv2' to pre-70016 software
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.21 bead935 Pieter Wuille: Send and require SENDADDRV2 before VERACK
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.21 06c8423 Jon Atack: wallet, bugfix: allow send to take string fee rate values
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20612: [0.21] final rc3 backports (0.21...2012-finalRc3Backports) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20612
< MarcoFalke> \o/
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto closed pull request #19882: depends: Export variables from make to environment explicitly (master...200905-build) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19882
< sipa> are they (final rc3) backports, or final (rc3) backports?
< MarcoFalke> hopefully both
< luke-jr> XD
< wumpus> i deleted the en_GB translation on transifex; it contained all kinds of junk, e.g. a pasted shell transcript, some French messages, and so on. Besides that it seems kind of pointless in the first place.
< wumpus> sipa: final for rc3 at least, i plan to tag rc3 soon after
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.21: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3fee499bc3af...e6d0fa3ef6f6
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.21 e6d0fa3 Wladimir J. van der Laan: gui: pre-rc3 translations update
< wumpus> no manual page changes and no English translation changes this time
< hebasto> meeting?
< luke-jr> ..
< wumpus> #startmeeting
< jnewbery> hi
< achow101> hi
< hebasto> hi
< kanzure> hi
< wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: achow101 aj amiti ariard bluematt cfields Chris_Stewart_5 digi_james dongcarl elichai2 emilengler fanquake fjahr gleb gmaxwell gwillen hebasto instagibbs jamesob jb55 jeremyrubin jl2012 jnewbery jonasschnelli jonatack jtimon kallewoof kanzure kvaciral lightlike luke-jr maaku marcofalke meshcollider michagogo moneyball morcos nehan NicolasDorier paveljanik
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.21: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/e6d0fa3ef6f6...9ae536d3684e
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.21 9ae536d Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: Bump RC to rc3
< wumpus> petertodd phantomcircuit promag provoostenator ryanofsky sdaftuar sipa vasild wumpus
< promag> hi
< wumpus> no proposed topics for this week on http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt
< jb55> hi
< wumpus> does anyone have last minute things they'd like to discuss?
< Murch> hi
< michaelfolkson> hi
< jonasschnelli> hi
< Murch> I'm sure achow101 would love if someone besides be would take a glance at #20040
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20040 | wallet: Refactor OutputGroups to handle fees and spending eligibility on grouping by achow101 · Pull Request #20040 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< Murch> *besides me
< jonatack> hi
< wumpus> is already in the high prioroty for review
< wumpus> #topic High priority for review
< jonatack> Murch: +1
< wumpus> anything to add/remove or that is ready for merge?
< MarcoFalke> anything holding back a 0.19 and 0.20 release?
< wumpus> FWIW I added #19858
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19858 | Periodically make block-relay connections and sync headers by sdaftuar · Pull Request #19858 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< achow101> MarcoFalke: still waiting for #19740 for 0.20
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19740 | [0.20] wallet: Simplify and fix CWallet::SignTransaction by achow101 · Pull Request #19740 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< sdaftuar> wumpus: thanks!
< jonatack> maybe #20546 for me
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20546 | policy, wallet, refactor: check for non-representable CFeeRates by jonatack · Pull Request #20546 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< MarcoFalke> achow101: merged
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to 0.20: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/75bf23d8613a...953dddbd2058
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.20 2d48d7d Andrew Chow: Simplify and fix CWallet::SignTransaction
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.20 6a326cf Andrew Chow: tests: Test that a fully signed tx given to signrawtx is unchanged
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.20 953dddb MarcoFalke: Merge #19740: [0.20] wallet: Simplify and fix CWallet::SignTransaction
< MarcoFalke> thanks for the test btw
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #19740: [0.20] wallet: Simplify and fix CWallet::SignTransaction (0.20...backport-17204-fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/19740
< wumpus> jonatack: added
< jonatack> wumpus: merci
< wumpus> no idea about 0.19 and 0.20, but I'll tag 0.21.0rc3 after the meeting
< wumpus> if the other branches are ready for tagging just say so
< wumpus> okay, any other topics?
< wumpus> seems to be a short meeting
< sipa> 21 million decananoversions!
< wumpus> hehe, a new version unit
< sipa> 21M versionsats?
< wumpus> better than versionbits *ducks*
< sipa> hahaha
< wumpus> #endmeeting
< luke-jr> wut
< jonatack> :D
< * Murch> watches joke pass over his head
< MarcoFalke> wumpus: yes, I think 0.19 and 0.20 are ready for tag as well
< aj> 100 versionsats per versionbit then?
< wumpus> seems the bot wandered off again
< jonasschnelli> My fault...
< wumpus> Murch: yes a bit of a inside joke there was some discussion about bitcoin units again on twitter
< jonatack> we start using sats, suddenly there's a push for bits
< Murch> Must have missed it ^^
< jonasschnelli> ping core-meetingbot
< luke-jr> jonatack: not for feerate I think?
< sipa> i missed that push too; i just found it funny due to name confusion with BIP9's versionbits
< jonatack> luke-jr: i don't think so? Murch: easy to miss, bits means a few other things already
< wumpus> MarcoFalke: ok!
< Murch> luke-jr: Can't wait for bits per kilovirtualbyte :~
< Murch> or bits per kilosipa
< Murch> haha
< Murch> jonatack: That's my biggest gripe with it
< jonasschnelli> ping core-meetingbot
< sipa> bad bot
< jonasschnelli> wait wait
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.19: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5baaea4410a1...5f2f304cbec9
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 5f2f304 Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: Bump version to 0.19.2rc1
< jonasschnelli> now
< jonasschnelli> ping core-meetingbot
< * jonasschnelli> hmm...
< jonasschnelli> #startmeeting
< core-meetingbot> Meeting started Thu Dec 10 19:26:15 2020 UTC. The chair is jonasschnelli. Information about MeetBot at https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/ircmeetings.
< core-meetingbot> Available commands: action commands idea info link nick
< jonasschnelli> #endmeeting
< core-meetingbot> topic: Bitcoin Core development discussion and commit log | Feel free to watch, but please take commentary and usage questions to #bitcoin | Channel logs: http://www.erisian.com.au/bitcoin-core-dev/, http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/ | Meeting topics http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt / http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedwalletmeetingtopics.txt
< core-meetingbot> Meeting ended Thu Dec 10 19:26:18 2020 UTC.
< * jonasschnelli> fixed...
< achow101> promag: no idea
< jonasschnelli> sorry... the bots server had to restart recently and did not automatically identify via NickServ. That's why it was muted.
< wumpus> jonasschnelli: thanks!
< jonasschnelli> (the bot was just muted)
< wumpus> jonasschnelli: oh good!
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.20: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/953dddbd2058...2808593b7c8c
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.20 2808593 Wladimir J. van der Laan: build: Bump version to 0.20.2rc1
< jonasschnelli> ahm... wait. No. It wasn't
< jonasschnelli> That was last weeks.
< jonasschnelli> shouldn't happen again
< wumpus> promag: depends on how the wallet connects to the host I suppose? host USB is supported on some android devices (since 3.1, I see)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.21.0rc3: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.21.0rc3
< wumpus> ^^
< achow101> yay 3 things to build
< wumpus> triple-combo tag (but for 0.20 and 0.19 I still have to do manual page updates and translations)
< wumpus> that was a no-op for 0.21 this rc
< wumpus> well the translations wasn't
< sipa> i've been out of the loop for gitian building for a few years, but have a good setup now
< sipa> where do i start? i'm on ubuntu
< jonasschnelli> then probably: ./gitian-build.py --setup (see https://github.com/bitcoin-core/docs/blob/master/gitian-building.md)
< luke-jr> :o
< sipa> so i'd create a debian VM, and run gitian inside that (with LXC?)
< wumpus> that's what i have
< sipa> ok
< jonasschnelli> sipa: I run LXC directly on a physical debian host
< jonasschnelli> (I guess you can do the same with ubuntu?)
< wumpus> if you already run debian you could skip the outer VM, but, I generally don't want to pollute the physical host with all kind of stuff
< jonasschnelli> Yes. Agree that this makes sense.
< sipa> i assume you can do the gpg signing outside the VM?
< wumpus> (though LXC isn't that bad)
< wumpus> yes
< jonasschnelli> sipa: yes. I also GPG sign "outside"
< jonasschnelli> (on a different computer)
< wumpus> I have my own script to fetch the assert files from the VM and sign them with (w gpg2 --detach-sign), don't know if there's a standard way to do it nowadays
< sipa> how much disk space would you need for the VM?
< jonasschnelli> 15G Aug 11 08:51 base-bionic-amd64
< jonasschnelli> + some small stuff
< sipa> cool
< wumpus> it needs to write the output somewhere too but yes
< jonasschnelli> You'll also need the macOS SDK (grab it from bitcoincore.org, check the travis files for the URL)
< wumpus> I assigned 40GB to it
< wumpus> it's preferable to extract the SDK using the instructions from an actual Apple download, especially if you have a mac yourself, but yeah most people simply grab it
< sipa> i don't have any apple hardware
< sipa> but you can do the extraction from linux, right?
< jonasschnelli> I think you can
< jonasschnelli> you need an Apple ID though. :)
< luke-jr> sipa: you may want more than 15 GB for caches
< luke-jr> unless you wipe them
< sipa> ok, gave it 50 G
< luke-jr> I have 16 GB of caches alone XD
< wumpus> definitely if you keep the caches for old branches around
< luke-jr> hebasto: it's not technically legal for us to distribute that btw
< wumpus> FWIW I usually delete the caches for every major/minor release, building the depends takes somewhat longer but it's rare enough, and there are some other steps that take a long time too
< wumpus> and it wouldn't be the first time that solves a determinism issue
< jonasschnelli> bb8c59034420709cdbae2e47ec1a1dce03c68ab4142ff3b67a23c415e6557be1 bitcoin-0.21.0rc3-osx-unsigned.dmg
< wumpus> it's especially for the linux build that caching really helps, qt for all those platforms
< luke-jr> jonasschnelli: wow fast
< jonasschnelli> luke-jr: macOS builds are fast (my script does that first): https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/gitian/build/358
< luke-jr> i c
< luke-jr> I think mine does Windows, Linux, macOS
< * luke-jr> wonders if we ought to s/osx/macos/
< luke-jr> or even just mac
< sipa> especially with the latest release being XI and not X anymore
< jonasschnelli> luke-jr: I looked into it. But I guess it's not really worth it.
< jonasschnelli> sipa: its 10.16 and 11 (internally!)
< sipa> jonasschnelli: i know
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to 0.20: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2808593b7c8c...a4bc4c1f79d7
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.20 98c9d79 Wladimir J. van der Laan: gui: Pre-rc1 translations update
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.20 a4bc4c1 Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Update manual pages pre-rc1
< wumpus> luke-jr: renaming files is kind of annoying, as the file names are hardcoded in all kinds of places and scripts, also not sure it's worth it for something that doesn't generate any ambiguity
< sipa> jonasschnelli: i created an apple id, but it says i'm not allowed to download the xcode files
< jonasschnelli> sipa: have you used the link from the docs?
< jonasschnelli> I guess that one is old/invalid
< jonasschnelli> Maybe go here: https://developer.apple.com/download/more/
< sipa> is it ok to use a later version?
< jonasschnelli> oh.. wait. you need to older version
< jonasschnelli> (download works for me)
< sipa> i need to sign up for the developer program
< sipa> which is $99 a year
< sipa> ??
< achow101> sipa: it shouldn't be required, but I don't remember which links to go to
< jonasschnelli> No. You don't need that
< jonasschnelli> You only need the 99$ programm if you want to deploy apps
< jonasschnelli> sipa: just click harder,... you'll find it
< sipa> Sorry, you cannot view this page.
< sipa> he Apple ID you signed in with does not have permission to view this page.
< sipa> If you’re currently a member of the Apple Developer Program, you or your Account Holder may need to update your account by agreeing to the latest license agreement in order to access this page. To view your current membership status and benefits, visit your account.
< jonasschnelli> sipa: let me try to create a new account..
< jonasschnelli> Have you verified your email and all that stuff?
< sipa> https://developer.apple.com/services-account/download?path=/Developer_Tools/Xcode_11.3.1/Xcode_11.3.1.xip
< sipa> that works!
< jonasschnelli> sipa: Yes. Should work. I just created a new account.
< jonasschnelli> works
< jonasschnelli> You may need to agree to some terms etc.
< wumpus> let's update the URL in the doc
< sipa> jonasschnelli: it's downloading, and i didn't do anything else :)
< luke-jr> yeah.. I had to jump through some hoops to find it too
< jonasschnelli> I guess you'll get a 403 if you are not logged in our haven't accepted the terms, etc.
< achow101> I think you need to already be logged in for the link to work
< sipa> jonasschnelli: yeah the link there works
< sipa> the previous one you gave didn't
< jonasschnelli> its the same. :)
< jonatack> "if it doesn't work, just click harder" :D ...that should go in the doc
< jonasschnelli> I just dbl-checked
< sipa> no it isn't
< jonasschnelli> jonasschnelli: hah
< sipa> they're literally not the same URL
< achow101> sipa: the one in contrib/macdeploy works for me if I'm already logged in
< sipa> i'm logged in
< achow101> it's also the link that you get from the website and search for the sdk manually
< sipa> wait
< sipa> now the other one works too
< sipa> ok, i give up!
< jonasschnelli> sipa: the one you wrote last (gitian-building-mac-os-sdk.md) is outdated IMO
< jonasschnelli> As I said. Click harder. :)
< jonasschnelli> jonatack: heh.. :)
< sipa> my conspiracy theory is that the first URL starts working as soon as you try the second one
< achow101> it's never easy with apple stuff
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to 0.19: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/5f2f304cbec9...e301a9fde351
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 f8d2a04 Wladimir J. van der Laan: gui: Pre-rc1 translations update
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.19 e301a9f Wladimir J. van der Laan: doc: Pre-rc1 manual pages update
< jamesob> Argh, missed the meeting again.
< gleb> jamesob: same here, just managed to join :)
< jamesob> Can I review/merge beg for #19806? This one's been hanging out for a while
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19806 | validation: UTXO snapshot activation by jamesob · Pull Request #19806 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.19.2rc1: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.19.2rc1
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.20.2rc1: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.20.2rc1
< jamesob> gleb: timezones man, they're rough
< wumpus> now everyone can build their favorite branch
< achow101> I sure hope we don't have any non-determinism
< wumpus> if so, especially for 0.19, deciding to forego the gitian build at all would be a valid choice
< wumpus> the current (possibly final) state of the branch is tagged, that was kind of the point, people can build it from source if they want
< jonasschnelli> achow101: 0.21.0rc3 macOS sigs are up (hash matches with yours and hebasto's): https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoin-detached-sigs/tree/0.21
< achow101> waiting for one more windows sig
< jonasschnelli> (commit soon as linux is done)
< jonasschnelli> e72a9059a206a822fc02d7d304992a23acb9355fbf7b3b94353839075532bd5f bitcoin-0.21.0rc3-win-unsigned.tar.gz
< achow101> gitian builders: 0.21.0rc3 sigs are up
< luke-jr> achow101: why? those sigs aren't supposed to be created until 3 gitian builds match
< luke-jr> right now there's ZERO in the repo..
< luke-jr> where are you guys seeing sigs? :/
< luke-jr> hebasto: right, those aren't supposed to exist until there are 3 matching gitian sigs
< luke-jr> but the gitian.sigs repo is empty afaict
< luke-jr> (well, empty of rc3)
< hebasto> yes, repo is empty; but hashes from achow101 jonasschnelli and me are the same, right?
< achow101> luke-jr: prs are there
< luke-jr> can't verify without the PGP sigs on them
< luke-jr> achow101: ah
< hebasto> luke-jr: right
< luke-jr> only see achow101 and hebasto?
< achow101> luke-jr: jonasschnelli results are at https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/gitian/build/358
< luke-jr> not signed
< luke-jr> oh,. they are
< luke-jr> gotta scroll down
< wumpus> pushed sigs too
< sipa> building!
< luke-jr> mine is on riscv, so almost done
< luke-jr> (turns out my order is win, osx, linux)
< theStack> fwiw, the contrib/gitian-build.py script with docker worked like a charm for me, no need for a vm
< luke-jr> theStack: docker IS a VM…
< sipa> luke-jr: i think he means he didn't need yet another VM around it
< bitcoin-git> [gui] luke-jr opened pull request #149: Intro: Have user choose assumevalid (master...intro_assumevalid) https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/149
< luke-jr> hebasto: promag: care to re-review https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/125 - 2 ACKs, would be nice to get it in so I can move on to https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/149 :P
< theStack> luke-jr: not really, it shares the kernel with the host
< sipa> ok, i have the unsigned binaries, they match
< sipa> i'm running gitian-build.py --sign now, but it seems it's building the linux binaries again?
< sipa> oh, i'm silly
< sipa> -b == --build
< luke-jr> theStack: so do many VMs
< luke-jr> sipa: lol
< theStack> luke-jr: there are tons of articles explaining the differences between containers and vms... feel free to redefine terms for yourself though