< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/816314ef0f7b...9b28bd73a33b
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 09d105e Hennadii Stepanov: ci: Drop travis_fold feature as Travis CI is no longer used
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 95487b0 Hennadii Stepanov: doc: Drop mentions of Travis CI as it is no longer used
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9b28bd7 MarcoFalke: Merge #20691: ci, doc: Travis CI features and mentions cleanup
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20691: ci, doc: Travis CI features and mentions cleanup (master...201217-travis) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20691
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/9b28bd73a33b...b27104dc5276
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa7dde1 MarcoFalke: wallet: Pass ArgsManager into ExecuteWalletToolFunc instead of using global
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faf8f61 MarcoFalke: test: Add missing check for is_sqlite_compiled
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fae32f2 MarcoFalke: wallet: Add missing check for -descriptors wallet tool option
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20687: wallet: Add missing check for -descriptors wallet tool option (master...2012-walletToolSqlite) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20687
< bitcoin-git> [gui] MarcoFalke merged pull request #155: Fix checkbox layout in Create Wallet dialog (master...201218-i3) https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/155
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/b27104dc5276...3dd3f7c0af7e
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e71b656 Hennadii Stepanov: qt: Align layout of checkboxes
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 3dd3f7c MarcoFalke: Merge bitcoin-core/gui#155: Fix checkbox layout in Create Wallet dialog
< wumpus> jeremyrubin: correct, i think
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/3dd3f7c0af7e...20f4a9421ba6
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faeb40b MarcoFalke: ci: Install missing lint packages
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 20f4a94 MarcoFalke: Merge #20682: ci: Install missing lint packages
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20682: ci: Install missing lint packages (master...2012-testDel) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20682
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/20f4a9421ba6...83e4670fd7cd
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6d1e85f Suhas Daftuar: Clean up logging of outbound connection type
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 83e4670 MarcoFalke: Merge #20690: Clean up logging of outbound connection type
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20690: Clean up logging of outbound connection type (master...2020-12-clean-up-outbound-logging) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20690
< vasild> wumpus: if UPnP is "phased out", what about routers that only support UPnP?
< vasild> gleb: wrt https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20685#issuecomment-747959538 -- by "non-popular overlay" do you mean I2P? What "privacy/security side-effects" side effects?
< gleb> vasild: Yeah, if there's only a handful of I2P nodes in the network, and a user wants to run on I2P exclusively — that'd be pretty risky.
< gleb> Consider an eclipse attack or traffic analysis
< gleb> On the Bitcoin p2p protocol layer I mean.
< vasild> ah, this one, I see
< vasild> yeah, running i2p _exclusively_ in the beginning (first 7 years) will may be not a good idea :)
< vasild> that belongs to doc/i2p.md (not existent yet)
< wumpus> vasild: how much is that really still a thing?
< vasild> no idea
< wumpus> i think UPnP is a terrible protocol, but I'm biased because the only RCE for bitcoin core that I know of used a UPnP xml parsing vulnerability
< wumpus> one advantage of NATPMP/PCP is that the protocol consists of super simple binary packets, doesn't involve that kind of parsing at all
< wumpus> so we could even consider enabling it by default
< hebasto> ^ +1
< vasild> Sure, if no downsides. What is that "random ports mapping" luke-jr mentioned (https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/18077#issuecomment-588484002)?
< wumpus> but yes that's separate from the question 'should it be supported at all', i don't think upnp support is much code to maintain and if it's disabled by default it's low risk so i don't actually feel strongly about that
< wumpus> i have no idea i have never heard that before
< wumpus> basically i just though the 'NAT PMP is a low priority protocol' was a strange comment
< vasild> it is
< vasild> (strange comment)
< wumpus> i think the NAT PMP PR is almost ready, the code change looks good to me and it works, we should definitely have it in 0.22
< wumpus> discussion on whether to enable it by default or whether or not to deprecate UPnP doesn't need to be at the same time
< wumpus> right now it adds it as an opt-in feature just like UPnP that's a good way to get started
< wumpus> never delay anything on decisions that might be controversial or we'll still be waiting for it to get merged in 2025 :-)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/83e4670fd7cd...f1dbf92ff047
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 634f6ec Wladimir J. van der Laan: contrib: Parse ELF directly for symbol and security checks
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a0a7718 Luke Dashjr: contrib: Changes to checks for PowerPC64
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f1dbf92 Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #20434: contrib: Parse ELF directly for symbol and security checks
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #20434: contrib: Parse ELF directly for symbol and security checks (master...2020_11_pixie) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20434
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #20697: ci: Fix COMMIT_RANGE variable value (master...201218-range) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20697
< promag> block kuaixbdsk3738?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] romanz opened pull request #20702: rpc: Add getblocklocations (master...locations) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20702
< wumpus> promag: what did they do ?
< promag> wumpus: create a bunch of dumb issues afaict
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20715: util: Add ArgsManager::GetCommands() and use it in bitcoin-wallet (master...2012-argsCmd) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20715
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #20716: ci: Fix COMMIT_RANGE variable value for cloned repos (master...201218-cloned) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20716
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto closed pull request #20716: ci: Fix COMMIT_RANGE variable value for cloned repos (master...201218-cloned) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20716
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto reopened pull request #20716: ci: Fix COMMIT_RANGE variable value for cloned repos (master...201218-cloned) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20716
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto closed pull request #20716: ci: Fix COMMIT_RANGE variable value for cloned repos (master...201218-cloned) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20716
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #20717: ci: Fix COMMIT_RANGE variable value for cloned repos (master...201218-clone) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20717
< hebasto> cirrus builds somehow are not triggefred by new prs
< wumpus> promag: cannot find the account at all
< bitcoin-git> [gui] luke-jr opened pull request #157: Refactor P2PKH filtering, via AddressBookSortFilterProxyModel (master...gui_filter_p2pkh) https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/157
< hebasto> sorry for mess with the recent prs open-close, but I have no clue why cirrus is down on the main repo, and it works fine in the gui repo
< promag> wumpus: fanquake took care of it
< jonatack> wallet meeting?
< jonatack> (or is it off until next year)
< jonatack> e.g. Jan 1st, or more likely, 15th
< achow101> last wallet meeting of this year
< achow101> #startmeeting
< core-meetingbot> Meeting started Fri Dec 18 19:03:49 2020 UTC. The chair is achow101. Information about MeetBot at https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/ircmeetings.
< core-meetingbot> Available commands: action commands idea info link nick
< emzy> hi
< jonatack> huzzah
< achow101> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: achow101 aj amiti ariard bluematt cfields Chris_Stewart_5 digi_james dongcarl elichai2 emilengler fanquake fjahr gleb gmaxwell gwillen hebasto instagibbs jamesob jb55 jeremyrubin jl2012 jnewbery jonasschnelli jonatack jtimon kallewoof kanzure kvaciral lightlike luke-jr maaku marcofalke meshcollider michagogo moneyball morcos nehan NicolasDorier paveljanik petertodd phantomcircuit promag provoostenator
< achow101> ryanofsky sdaftuar sipa vasild wumpus
< achow101> any topics?
< achow101> i suppose we're all focused on 0.21 right now
< achow101> ok then. next meeting will be Jan 15
< achow101> #endmeeting
< core-meetingbot> topic: Bitcoin Core development discussion and commit log | Feel free to watch, but please take commentary and usage questions to #bitcoin | Channel logs: http://www.erisian.com.au/bitcoin-core-dev/, http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/ | Meeting topics http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt / http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedwalletmeetingtopics.txt
< core-meetingbot> Meeting ended Fri Dec 18 19:09:00 2020 UTC.
< sipa> that was fast
< jonatack> sorry, freenode keeps kicking me off, it doesn't like my vpn
< achow101> would it be desirable for the MacOS code signing tool to still use codesign_allocate?
< sipa> do you think you can easily replicate it in python?
< achow101> not really. it seems like macholib doesn't quite do what we need, so I would need to implement my own macho parser and modifier
< achow101> and that is decidely non trivial
< sipa> no need then, i think
< sipa> there is a working open-source tool that does this
< achow101> right, we just need the signer to also use that
< sipa> indeed
< sipa> (and the right one!)
< achow101> at least it's an easy problem to fix and solve since this works on non-macs too
< achow101> and won't enforce apple signed codesign_allocate
< sipa> and if you so desire, the functionality could be added to your tool later with no downsides
< andytoshi> i'm having trouble building the fuzztests and i can't remember what i did last week that made it work
< andytoshi> getting stuff like
< andytoshi> /home/apoelstra/code/bitcoin/bitcoin/fuzz/src/./test/fuzz/fuzz.h:18: multiple definition of `FuzzFrameworkEmptyFun()'; test/fuzz/fuzz-addition_overflow.o:/home/apoelstra/code/bitcoin/bitcoin/fuzz/src/./test/fuzz/fuzz.h:18: first defined here
< andytoshi> lots of these "multiple definition" errosr
< sipa> this may be a result of #20560 being merged; does a make clean help?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20560 | fuzz: Link all targets once by MarcoFalke · Pull Request #20560 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< sipa> or a re-configuree
< andytoshi> sipa: no, i've done lots of `make distclean` and `git clean -xf`, switching between clang and gcc, etc
< andytoshi> thanks, i'll take a look at 20560 and try reverting it
< sipa> how are you ./configure'ing?
< andytoshi> ./configure --with-incompatible-bdb CPPFLAGS='-DARENA_DEBUG -DDEBUG_LOCKORDER' --with-sanitizers=address,integer,undefined CC=clang CXX='clang++' --enable-fuzz --with-boost-process
< sipa> you need --with-sanitizers=...,fuzz if you want to build fuzz tests
< andytoshi> oh! thanks
< andytoshi> i think i was going to get there, my next thing was to grep through the CI config scripts and see what i was missing
< sipa> though it seems something was changed w.r.t not doing that, as dongcarl noticed: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20560#issuecomment-748339644
< sipa> i think we had some rudimentary support for building without specifically enabling fuzz, but the result wouldn't actually support fuzzing, just making sure stuff compiles
< andytoshi> yeah, i've kept half an eye on that stuff but i'm not sure where we wound up
< andytoshi> there is also some configuration which doesn't work with clang for me, but i can't remember what now
< sipa> it's --with-sanitizer=fuzzer (+ whatever other sanitizers you want to enable in the fuzz tests)
< sipa> * --with-sanitizers
< andytoshi> yep. building now. will know in 15-20 mins :)
< sipa> also see doc/fuzzing.md
< sipa> you need more CPU cores (or more RAM)
< sipa> :)
< andytoshi> i have them! but i am building my computer in canada and i'm not there yet (and because of weird shipping costs i have half the parts with me and half of them there)
< andytoshi> in a week i'll fly in, pockets full of RAM and a EPYC 7502, and i won't have to worry about this stuff
< andytoshi> anyway...looks like it worked, except now it's telling me that there are no test to run and to reconfigure with --with-daemon
< andytoshi> which definitely is new to me
< andytoshi> and doesn't appear in the CI scripts
< jonatack> so far the only change i've noticed since 20560 is how to run a fuzzer (the new way is documented in doc/fuzzing.md)
< jonatack> ./autogen.sh ; ./configure --enable-fuzz --with-sanitizers=address,fuzzer,undefined CC=clang CXX=clang++ && make distclean ; make -j5
< jonatack> is my usual for fuzzing i think
< andytoshi> ok that looks familiar. but when i try to run test/fuzz/test_runner.py it says i should reconfigure with --with-daemon
< sipa> bizarre
< sipa> i tested the PR before ACK'ing, including running test_runner.py
< jonatack> oh i never got that script to work, i thought it was for the ci
< jonatack> i just run individual fuzzers
< andytoshi> hmm, it was definitely working for me a week ago
< andytoshi> but i wasn't keeping track of what commit or what workdir i was in or anything, so idk what might've changed
< jonatack> it's been a year since i last tried tho
< sipa> i think you're callig test/functional/test_runner.py, not test/fuzz/test_runner.py
< andytoshi> haha dammit
< andytoshi> well i already did `make clean` so now i gotta wait another 20 minutes
< andytoshi> fridays..
< sipa> sounds like you need to install ccache
< andytoshi> yeah, i really should
< andytoshi> i installed it, is there anything else i should do? i guess reconfigure so Core detects that i have it
< sipa> configure will automatically make use of it; all you need to do is install it
< andytoshi> great thanks
< jonatack> oh, it does work now...yay!
< andytoshi> the fact that test_runner wasn't yelling at me for providing no corpus should've tipped me off that i was running the wrong script..
< andytoshi> sipa: also, is there a good way to run all the fuzzers, against the qa-assets corpus, with a ton of iterations
< andytoshi> other than editing test_runner.py runs=1 to runs=100000
< sipa> why would you want to do more than 1 iteration
< andytoshi> to test more mutations
< sipa> (i should add that i didn't even knew about the existence of this script before reviewing 20560, i've never actually used it in production)
< sipa> if you want mutations, you need to start it with -g
< andytoshi> i assume that if you increase the --runs parameter, it will start from the seeds in the qa-assets corpus, and then search from there
< sipa> if you don't, it'll just run the existing corpus, with no mutations
< andytoshi> will -g use the qa-assets corpus? it sounds from the help text like it'll just overwrite it
< sipa> that would be ridiculous, but let me check because i don't actually know
< sipa> "Create new corpus seeds (or extend the existing ones) by running"
< sipa> according to --help
< andytoshi> ok, cool, i just can't read
< andytoshi> hooray it's going!