< sipa> fjahr, elichai2: down to 54 us
< Arvidt> Congrats for Release! Where can one see how many Onion Nodes are there? bitnodes leaderboard does only show _26_ ?
< sipa> Arvidt: there is no authorative source
< Arvidt> Yes I know
< sipa> so i'm afraid the only correct answer is "nobody knows" - various sites may try to index them, but that's always going to be approximate
< Arvidt> Bitnodes knows 9 thousand nodes, strange it knows only 26 onion nodes
< sipa> my crawler knows a few 1000
< luke-jr> quite possible for onions to not be listening either, in which case glwt :P
< luke-jr> sipa: only torV2 tho, right?
< sipa> luke-jr: yes
< luke-jr> my crawler has only been doing tor for like a month and it sees 4012 :o
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #20938: Fix linking against -latomic when building for riscv (master...fix_riscv_atomic_usage) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20938
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake opened pull request #20939: build: fix RELOC_SECTION security check for bitcoin-util (master...fix_bitcoin_util_reloc_section) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20939
< aj> fanquake: nice
< fanquake> aj: now that's solved I guess I'm free to go watch the cricket
< sipa> the sport or the insect?
< luke-jr> insect sounds more interesting
< sipa> agree.
< fanquake> 😢 This game will only go for the next 5 days
< sipa> crickets live that long?
< fanquake> I'll try find one and let you know
< sipa> haha
< luke-jr> XD
< * luke-jr> remembers the time a Japanese bitcoiner visited him and we went shooting guns out back for the lulz
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jarolrod opened pull request #20941: rpc: document RPC_TRANSACTION_ALREADY_IN_CHAIN exception (master...rpcman-sendrawtx) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20941
< Arvidt> sipa luke-jr: Thanks, do I understand right that your crawlers do not tell the count of seen listening onion nodes?
< sipa> Arvidt: not sure what you mean
< sipa> Arvidt: a dump of my crawler is on http://bitcoin.sipa.be/seeds.txt.gz
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ajtowns opened pull request #20942: [refactor] Move some net_processing globals into PeerManagerImpl (master...202101-netproc-anti-globalisation-pt1) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20942
< jonatack> seeing my first 0.21.0 (ipv4) peer
< elichai2> sipa: sweet :)
< elichai2> (I'm writing a go implementation for muhash, but I'll try to use their big.Int from the standard library for the modular inversion, see how fast is that before i try safegcd or other algs)
< provoostenator> wumpus: v0.21.0 release torrent whitelist done
< wumpus> provoostenator: thank you!
< wumpus> i've added glozow to the "frequent contributors" for the github orgs
< nkuttler> btw, 0.21 still wasn't posted on bitcoincore.org, should i create a ticket?
< provoostenator> If someone has a chance to merge https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/171 then I can have some rebase fun on hardware wallet UI stuff...
< provoostenator> nkuttler: there is a PR: https://github.com/bitcoin-core/bitcoincore.org/pull/734
< nkuttler> provoostenator: ah, thanks!
< wumpus> nkuttler: thanks for the reminder it should be ready for merge now
< talisein> In a 0.21 descriptor wallet, if i RPC importdescriptors with active=false, is there any way to modify that flag via another RPC?
< wumpus> i have no idea what's going on with the bitcoin.org PR, https://github.com/bitcoin-dot-org/Bitcoin.org/pull/3560, but i guess cobra prefers not to do that anymore anyway
< sipa> CI failure?
< wumpus> yes
< wumpus> it's always the same, the problem isn't the CI failure but that the output is completely useless for fixing what the problem is, and to be honest i'm kind of tired of updating two sites in the first place
< wumpus> anyhow, easiest would be to delete the changelog and make it a link to bitcoincore.org's, once that is merged of course
< sipa> yeah
< MarcoFalke> * 1651:88: ERROR: Tag datadir invalid
< MarcoFalke> Maybe grep for "<datadir>"?
< MarcoFalke> - #15935 Add <datadir>/settings.json persistent settings storage
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/15935 | Add /settings.json persistent settings storage by ryanofsky · Pull Request #15935 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< MarcoFalke> heh, gribble can't handle it either
< wumpus> MarcoFalke: thanks, yeah that could be it... the annoying thing is that the line numbers are from a generated html file (the only way to produce it locally is to install exactly the same set of ruby scripts and dependencies)
< wumpus> also it only gives one error at a time and the CI runs for almost an hour
< wumpus> (which is absurd for checking a website, but there you go)
< MarcoFalke> yeah, travis :(
< wumpus> bitcoin-core-dev@lists.linuxfoundation.org is now finally, officially, an announcement-only list
< sipa> yay
< wumpus> nkuttler: 0.21.0 release post is up
< nkuttler> yay \o/
< achow101> talisein: currently no. #19651 implements that
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19651 | wallet: importdescriptors update existing by S3RK · Pull Request #19651 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f91587f050d9...0a1cf6c34734
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa0a864 MarcoFalke: fuzz: Use mocktime in process_message* fuzz targets
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0a1cf6c MarcoFalke: Merge #20908: fuzz: Use mocktime in process_message* fuzz targets
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20908: fuzz: Use mocktime in process_message* fuzz targets (master...2101-fuzzMocktime) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20908
< achow101> wallet meeting?
< achow101> #startmeeting
< core-meetingbot> Meeting started Fri Jan 15 19:00:46 2021 UTC. The chair is achow101. Information about MeetBot at https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/ircmeetings.
< core-meetingbot> Available commands: action commands idea info link nick
< achow101> #bitcoin-core-dev Wallet Meeting: achow101 aj amiti ariard bluematt cfields Chris_Stewart_5 digi_james dongcarl elichai2 emilengler fanquake fjahr gleb gmaxwell gwillen hebasto instagibbs jamesob jb55 jeremyrubin jl2012 jnewbery jonasschnelli jonatack jtimon kallewoof kanzure kvaciral lightlike luke-jr maaku marcofalke meshcollider michagogo moneyball morcos nehan NicolasDorier paveljanik petertodd phantomcircuit promag provoostenator
< achow101> ryanofsky sdaftuar sipa vasild wumpus
< jonatack> hi
< emzy> hi
< achow101> any topics?
< achow101> With 0.21 out now, are there any big things we want to get in for 22.0?
< jonatack> i'd like to finish up the migration from btc/kb to sat/b feerates
< jonatack> and refactor CFeeRate
< jonatack> the plan is to
< luke-jr> achow101: I was thinking the other day, that it'd be nice to get wallet backup reminders
< jonatack> add setfeerate and estimatefeerate RPCs in sat/b and then we can deprecate the feeRate btc/kb params
< achow101> jonatack: that's mostly within the rpcs, right?
< luke-jr> also, according to puchu in #bitcoin, the GUI has gotten less responsive in 0.21; not sure if wallet-related or not
< jonatack> achow101: also a bit of CFeeRate refactoring in #20546
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20546 | policy, wallet, refactor: check for non-representable CFeeRates by jonatack · Pull Request #20546 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< jonatack> and a new AmountFromValue-like method that understands feerates
< achow101> cool
< achow101> luke-jr: wallet backup reminders in what way?
< jonatack> then we could start migrating the config options if people want
< achow101> jonatack: having all feerate things be the same units would be ideal
< jonatack> achow101: yes!
< jonatack> achow101: remind me of the xpub export plans plz
< jonatack> istm there was a PR to review
< jonatack> i'd also like to see fjahr's coinstats work get in and your coinselection work
< luke-jr> achow101: seems users forget to backup their wallet
< achow101> jonatack: #20226 I think was the pr
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20226 | wallet, rpc: add listdescriptors command by S3RK · Pull Request #20226 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< luke-jr> achow101: even just a one-time reminder after creation might help, but something to keep track of backup outdatedness and warn the user regularly would also be nice
< achow101> luke-jr: outdatedness may be hard to determine
< luke-jr> could just increment a counter per change, and reset to 0 on backup?
< jonatack> luke-jr: that does seem a good idea, if workable
< jonatack> (the concept)
< achow101> I think a lot of people backup by copying the wallet.dat file rather than using the explicit backup wallet stuff
< achow101> which in that case we wouldn't know when a backup was made
< luke-jr> that can lead to corruption
< luke-jr> bad idea regardless
< luke-jr> they need the reminder too :P
< achow101> an idea being bad hasn't stopped people from doing it :/
< achow101> but reminders would be nice. I guess it would also help to push people to do it the right way
< luke-jr> but at least this way they would investigate why they got a notice ;)
< luke-jr> and fix their backups
< sipa> the application explicitly telling you "You should make a backup, click here to do so!" likely encourages them to do it the right way
< luke-jr> yes
< jonatack> +1
< achow101> luke-jr: can you open a brainstorming issue for this?
< achow101> in terms of other stuff for 22.0, I'd like the coin selection changes to go in
< achow101> i have a stack of branches and prs that do a ton of coin selection improvements
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/0a1cf6c34734...32e59fc37108
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa0aa87 MarcoFalke: rpc: Return wtxid from testmempoolaccept
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 32e59fc MarcoFalke: Merge #20916: rpc: Return wtxid from testmempoolaccept
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #20916: rpc: Return wtxid from testmempoolaccept (master...2101-wtxidTestmempool) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20916
< jonatack> achow101: it would be good to move those forward. FWIW is meshcollider still on honeymoon?
< achow101> meshcollider told me he was back at the start of december
< achow101> but I think he dropped off the face of the earth
< luke-jr> x.x
< achow101> maybe NZ's border closing also affected the internet
< achow101> anything else to discuss?
< jonatack> pls ack #20391 i think it's rtm
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20391 | wallet: introduce setfeerate (an improved settxfee, in sat/vB) by jonatack · Pull Request #20391 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< achow101> will look
< achow101> #endmeeting
< core-meetingbot> topic: Bitcoin Core development discussion and commit log | Feel free to watch, but please take commentary and usage questions to #bitcoin | Channel logs: http://www.erisian.com.au/bitcoin-core-dev/, http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/ | Meeting topics http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt / http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedwalletmeetingtopics.txt
< core-meetingbot> Meeting ended Fri Jan 15 19:21:25 2021 UTC.
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #20944: rpc: Return total fee in mempool (master...2101-rpcMempoolTotalFee) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20944
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] benthecarman opened pull request #20945: Fix 0.21.0 release note to specify correct option BIP 157 support (master...patch-2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20945
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #20946: fuzz: Consolidate fuzzing TestingSetup initialization (master...2021-01-make-fuzzing-ctx) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/20946