< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4cfe6c37d956...2cbb4ab7a92a
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master b353633 sgulls: build: mac_alias 2.2.0
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2cbb4ab fanquake: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21658: build: fix make deploy for arm64-darwin
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #21658: build: fix make deploy for arm64-darwin (master...master) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21658
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2cbb4ab7a92a...7f37a1d560a8
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa37116 MarcoFalke: test: Use self.send_addr_msg
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faa51ef MarcoFalke: test: Fix intermittent issue in p2p_addr_relay.py
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 7f37a1d fanquake: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21785: test: Fix intermittent issue in p2p_addr_rela...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #21785: test: Fix intermittent issue in p2p_addr_relay.py (master...2104-testInt) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21785
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/7f37a1d560a8...fb66dbe786ff
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa1bedb MarcoFalke: test: Add MiniWallet.sendrawtransaction
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa085b4 MarcoFalke: test: Create MiniWallet.create_self_transfer
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa29382 MarcoFalke: test: Fix test cache issue
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #21762: test: Speed up mempool_spend_coinbase.py (master...2104-testSpeed) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21762
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke opened pull request #21802: refactor: Avoid UB in util/asmap (advance a dereferenceable iterator outside its valid range) (master...2104-asmapRefactor) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21802
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] jnewbery opened pull request #21804: [tests] Speed up p2p_segwit.py (master...2021-04-faster-p2p-segwit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21804
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/fb66dbe786ff...1daca9f9a9d0
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0000456 MarcoFalke: ci: Use clang-12 for asan task
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fa00bb2 MarcoFalke: test: Add missing shift-base:nanobench.h suppression
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1daca9f fanquake: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21738: test: Use clang-12 for ASAN, Add missing supp...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #21738: test: Use clang-12 for ASAN, Add missing suppression (master...2104-asan) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21738
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/1daca9f9a9d0...a7a193789eea
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a33bdb5 John Newbery: [tests] Speed up p2p_segwit.py
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a7a1937 MarcoFalke: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21804: [tests] Speed up p2p_segwit.py
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #21804: [tests] Speed up p2p_segwit.py (master...2021-04-faster-p2p-segwit) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21804
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a7a193789eea...16d0051c6a55
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 5e7d199 Jarol Rodriguez: doc: note on SDK for macOS depends cross-compile
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 16d0051 fanquake: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21688: doc: note on SDK for macOS depends cross-comp...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #21688: doc: note on SDK for macOS depends cross-compile (master...depends-note-sdk) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21688
< michaelfolkson> I guess this is a question for fanquake. What's the latest thinking/progress on supporting Bitcoin Core builds on ARM MacOS? He didn't sound enthusiastic or confident about the prospect in July last year
< michaelfolkson> Answered my own question. There is a open PR from jonasschnelli that I wasn't aware of https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20371
< hebasto> michaelfolkson: to work with ARM macOS a developer needs an Apple M1 hw -- other macOSes allow to work with them being virtualized
< jasan> hebasto: Exactly, I just offered him (in a PM) my voluntary help, just asking for Apple M1 hw donation.
< jasan> (:)
< michaelfolkson> Sounds like none of us have one :)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 4 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/16d0051c6a55...d9ae6ec8929e
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 0c74716 glozow: [docs] format existing comments as doxygen
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 58ea324 glozow: [docs] add doxygen comments to wallet code
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6ba8921 glozow: refactor + document coin selection strategy
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #21759: wallet: document coin selection code (master...2021-04-wallet-docs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21759
< wumpus> macos is such a time sink, but yeah
< wumpus> building it on a M1 already been done, the bottleneck (if any) is the cross-build , although getting the right hardware into the hands of devs would still make sense for testing ofc.
< sipa> doesn't provoostenator_ have an M1?
< sipa> and jonasschnelli maybe?
< wumpus> would be nice to get fanquake one i guess
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] rebroad opened pull request #21805: Send fewer feefilter messages (and avoid the wobbling issue) (master...SteadierFeefilter) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21805
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] rebroad opened pull request #21806: Display send/recv in Bps instead of totals in the debug window (master...SendRecvSpeed) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21806
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] rebroad closed pull request #21806: Display send/recv in Bps instead of totals in the debug window (master...SendRecvSpeed) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21806
< bitcoin-git> [gui] rebroad opened pull request #305: Display send/recv in Bps instead of totals in the debug window (master...SendRecvSpeed-gui) https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/305
< jonasschnelli> sipa: I have a M1 mini
< jonasschnelli> I tried to go through the cross compile process but due to lack of know how in this area I didn’t succeed
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d9ae6ec8929e...40310f5e8cd7
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master faecb72 MarcoFalke: test: Fix intermittent issue in p2p_segwit.py
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master fad6269 MarcoFalke: test: Assert that exit code indicates failure
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 40310f5 MarcoFalke: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21792: test: Fix intermittent issue in p2p_segwit.py...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #21792: test: Fix intermittent issue in p2p_segwit.py (master...2104-testInt2) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21792
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] practicalswift opened pull request #21810: fuzz: Various RPC fuzzer follow-ups (master...rpc-fuzzer-followups) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21810
< michaelfolkson> jonasschnelli: Sorry if basic question but what is the cross compile process? Say building a binary on your M1 mini which is intending to be a run on a different machine/OS?
< jonasschnelli> I tried to add the apple-arm-darwin tripplet to our dependency build system. Which would result in cross compiling Apple M1 (arm64) on a Linux machine.
< jonasschnelli> But the compiler didn’t new the tripplet
< jonasschnelli> *knew
< sipa> michaelfolkson: simply put, you use a crosscompiler :)
< sipa> (which means pretty much you need to have a separate compiler installed, together with some parts of the environment it will be compiling for)
< jonasschnelli> You also need to right Apple SDK
< sipa> and the complexity is that of course you also need all of bitcoin core's dependencies built for the target platform
< sipa> which all have their own build systems
< sipa> the depends system helps a lot here
< jonasschnelli> Apple m1 support is IMO not very time critical because x86 “emulation” on the M1 is crazy fast...
< hebasto> ^ good to know
< wumpus> at least theoretically it shouldn't be a big deal though, we have other builds for ARM
< jonasschnelli> But off couse if you have an M1 processor,.. you want an M1 native binary
< sipa> the hard part is the apple thing, not the arm thing :)
< jonasschnelli> sipa: exactly
< wumpus> yes i definitely have no idea about that
< luke-jr> iirc M1 requires Qt 6 too
< wumpus> #startmeeting
< core-meetingbot> Meeting started Thu Apr 29 19:00:31 2021 UTC. The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/ircmeetings.
< core-meetingbot> Available commands: action commands idea info link nick
< jonasschnelli> luke-jr: no
< michaelfolkson> hi
< wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: achow101 aj amiti ariard bluematt cfields Chris_Stewart_5 digi_james dongcarl elichai2 emilengler fanquake fjahr gleb glozow gmaxwell gwillen hebasto instagibbs jamesob jb55 jeremyrubin jl2012 jnewbery jonasschnelli jonatack jtimon kallewoof kanzure kvaciral lightlike luke-jr maaku marcofalke meshcollider michagogo moneyball morcos nehan NicolasDorier paveljanik
< meshcollider> hi
< wumpus> petertodd phantomcircuit promag provoostenator ryanofsky sdaftuar sipa vasild wumpus
< hebasto> hi
< jonatack> hi
< sipsorcery> hi
< ariard> hi
< achow101> hi
< Murch> hey
< jonasschnelli> hi
< sipa> hi
< wumpus> any last minute topics?
< wumpus> have any blocking issues been reported with 0.21.1rc1?
< achow101> 0.21.1 final?
< wumpus> achow101: right
< wumpus> #topic High priority for eview
< core-meetingbot> topic: High priority for eview
< wumpus> #topic High priority for review
< core-meetingbot> topic: High priority for review
< wumpus> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8 9 blockers, no bugfixes, nothing chasing concept ACK
< wumpus> anything to add or remove, or that is ready for merge?
< wumpus> we merged some quite big ones this week
< sipa> cool
< dongcarl> Could we add #21767? It's the second-to-last bundle in chainman-deglobalizing
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/21767 | [Bundle 6/n] Prune g_chainman usage in auxiliary modules by dongcarl · Pull Request #21767 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> ryanofsky: anything new for you to add?
< wumpus> dongcarl: added!
< sipa> dongcarl: what's on the critical path for guix building?
< dongcarl> #21462 is the main one!
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/21462 | guix: Add guix-{attest,verify} scripts by dongcarl · Pull Request #21462 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< jeremyrubin> hi
< wumpus> that one is almost ready for merge no?
< dongcarl> wumpus: Yes I believe so!
< wumpus> has had quite a lot of testing, including by me, not sure there's anything left to do
< wumpus> re-ACKing after the last round of changes i suppose
< dongcarl> Yeah the last round of changes is somewhat non-trivial, so reACK would be good
< wumpus> good to know, will take a look at it
< michaelfolkson> ryanofsky process separation only has 3 more PRs :) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/10
< dongcarl> I've been updating my other PRs/branches in the meantime. codesigning is in much better shape now
< wumpus> michaelfolkson: anything that is clearly next in the series?
< jeremyrubin> I don't think ethan is here but he was telling me #21045 should be RTM
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/21045 | build: adds switch to enable/disable randomized base address in MSVC builds by EthanHeilman · Pull Request #21045 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< jonatack> #19521 has acks by provoostenator_, promag and myself and pre-rebase tested ACKs from several other people
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/19521 | Coinstats Index by fjahr · Pull Request #19521 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< dongcarl> wumpus: The next one in the multiprocess series would be #10102 I believe
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/10102 | [experimental] Multiprocess bitcoin by ryanofsky · Pull Request #10102 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> jeremyrubin: looks like it
< ariard> michaelfolkson: well you can pursue process separation further in the future by splitting server code in its own process
< ariard> like all the indexes, i've an old trying to do that
< wumpus> dongcarl: ok, the [experimental] tag makes me less sure it should be in high prio now :)
< dongcarl> wumpus: Yeah we could probably come back to it next week when ryanofsky's had a chance to rebase and update :-)
< wumpus> dongcarl: good point
< wumpus> jonatack: looks close too then!
< michaelfolkson> wumpus dongcarl: Indeed
< michaelfolkson> ariard: Nothing is ever entirely finished ;)
< wumpus> #topic 0.21.1 final
< core-meetingbot> topic: 0.21.1 final
< wumpus> 0.21.1rc1 has been out for a while, at least i haven't heard of anyone noticing problems with it, so it might be time to label it as -final soon
< achow101> I think we should do final soon
< achow101> signaling begins in a few days
< meshcollider> Agreed
< wumpus> right
< jonasschnelli> the win signing certs are still missing though
< wumpus> let's tag it after the meeting then
< jonasschnelli> (association registration in in progress though)
< wumpus> jonasschnelli: we're not going to be able to wait for that, we can do the windows signingafter it arrives i guess
< jonasschnelli> yes. agree
< Murch> achow101: in 289 blokcs :)
< wumpus> there is no reason other platforms need to wait for the windows sig after all :)
< achow101> that also leads to the question of how we are going to re-release with the new cert
< sipa> ?
< wumpus> does that need to be a new release at all?
< wumpus> just sign it, upload the binary, or am i missing something
< sipa> hmm, right
< achow101> the gitian job requires the tag
< sipa> no repo changes at all?
< achow101> there will be a repo change for the new cert, although I can probably work around that
< wumpus> oh in that case makes sense
< achow101> I don't think the gitian job actually needs the cert in repo, but the making the signature does
< wumpus> i didn't know it needed a repo change
< wumpus> no need to do anything to work around it
< luke-jr> why would it need a repo change? O.o
< jonasschnelli> manual sign and manual verification and gitian-builder sugnatures?
< achow101> luke-jr: the cert is in the repo at contrib/windeploy/win-codesign.cert
< jonasschnelli> Would though depend on if one could verify the code signed binary easly
< luke-jr> achow101: but is that used?
< achow101> luke-jr: yes
< luke-jr> :/
< achow101> but only by the code signer, so it can be worked around if we really want to
< achow101> the other issue is the detached-sigs repo which would then need the version tag to be force pushed to a commit that has the win sigs
< achow101> that probably won't play well with gitian
< achow101> easiest solution would be do to a x.x.x.1 release for all affected versions
< wumpus> let's just do that
< wumpus> we have more often used minor-minor releases for architecture specific changes
< jonasschnelli> lets first try to get a code signing certificate. :/
< sipa> +1 to both
< sipa> :)
< wumpus> any other topics for this week?
< wumpus> #endmeeting
< core-meetingbot> topic: Bitcoin Core development discussion and commit log | Feel free to watch, but please take commentary and usage questions to #bitcoin | Channel logs: http://www.erisian.com.au/bitcoin-core-dev/, http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/ | Meeting topics http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedmeetingtopics.txt / http://gnusha.org/bitcoin-core-dev/proposedwalletmeetingtopics.txt
< core-meetingbot> Meeting ended Thu Apr 29 19:25:50 2021 UTC.
< jonasschnelli> luke-jr: back to your M1 QT question. "depends/" compiles successfull on a Apple M1 since a few month.
< jonasschnelli> (all on Qt<6)
< luke-jr> maybe I misremember
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 1 commit to 0.21: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/d97d0d31a6f4...194b9b8792d9
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/0.21 194b9b8 W. J. van der Laan: build: Bump RC to 0 (-final)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed tag v0.21.1: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/v0.21.1
< wumpus> that's good, i don't think switching to qt6 makes a lot of sense anything soon
< wumpus> anyhow, time to start building v0.21.1!
< jonatack> yay!
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/40310f5e8cd7...298fd02e4a34
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 9bd3f35 Ethan Heilman: build: adds switch for disabling random base addresses in MSVC
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 298fd02 W. J. van der Laan: Merge bitcoin/bitcoin#21045: build: adds switch to enable/disable randomiz...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #21045: build: adds switch to enable/disable randomized base address in MSVC builds (master...winnoaslr) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21045
< hebasto> sipsorcery: kindly asking to confirm/deny this comment https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/257#issuecomment-829567367
< ariard> glozow: thanks for #21800, still have to look on test coverage but then i'm pretty done with #20833 review
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/21800 | [WIP] mempool/validation: mempool ancestor/descendant limits for packages by glozow · Pull Request #21800 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/20833 | rpc/validation: enable packages through testmempoolaccept by glozow · Pull Request #20833 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< ariard> will try to do early next week :)
< glozow> ariard: awesome thanks!
< sipsorcery> hebasto: I could check but it seems a bit pointless. The msvc build uses the Visual Studio 2019 toolset.
< sipsorcery> To build in Visual Studio 2017 would require a fair bit of mucking around.
< hebasto> sipsorcery: should we remove "Visual Studio 2017" from https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/blob/master/build_msvc/README.md ?
< sipsorcery> Ah maybe not I forgot about the command line VS2017 build.
< sipsorcery> I'll try those instructions on the PR.
< hebasto> thnaks!
< hebasto> *thanks
< bitcoin-git> [gui] hebasto merged pull request #125: Enable changing the autoprune block space size in intro dialog (master...intro_prune_size) https://github.com/bitcoin-core/gui/pull/125
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto pushed 6 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/298fd02e4a34...e1e1e708fa0f
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 62932cc Luke Dashjr: GUI/Intro: Return actual prune setting from showIfNeeded
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f2e5a6b Luke Dashjr: GUI/Intro: Abstract GUI-to-option into Intro::getPrune
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master e2dcd95 Luke Dashjr: GUI/Intro: Rework UI flow to let the user set prune size in GBs
< sipsorcery> hebasto: the vs2017 command line build for master fails (before applying the PR) due to an ABI issue.
< sipsorcery> I suspect it's related to the Qt binaries which are pre-built with vs2019.
< sipsorcery> imho I don't think it's worth attempting to support vs2017.
< hebasto> sipsorcery: may I ask you to submit a well-motivated pr for that?
< sipsorcery> sure, so the need is to remove the vs2017 reference from the build_msvc\README.md? I'll check if there are any other refs to vs2017 but i don't think so.
< hebasto> many thanks
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] sipsorcery opened pull request #21811: Remove Visual Studio 2017 reference from readme (master...remove_vs2017) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/21811