< booyah> did something broke in proxy= ? I used to proxy= and recently since 0.17 it seem to not work (?)
< gwillen> it's definitely confusing to have to click 'request payment' to make a receiving address (I assume that's now the intended flow)
< gwillen> like, 9 times out of 10 I am not doing anything that resembles requesting a payment
< gwillen> because I'm just paying myself
< gwillen> from some other wallet
< gmaxwell> right, that was actually the intended flow before too. I'd personally forgotten there was another button for that.
< gmaxwell> but clearly other people saw it differently.
< gwillen> I definitely always used the other button
< gwillen> when it went away I was briefly confused, but it only took a couple minutes to deduce that I was probably meant to do the other thing
< gwillen> but I know a lot more than the average bitcoin user
< grubles> i don't think i have ever used a payment request to receive a payment
< grubles> just: generate receive address -> copy/paste to person paying me
< gwillen> yeah, same
< gwillen> it's sort of weird because even though you _can_ use the payment request button to just make an address, it clearly really wants you to use the extra payment request workflow stuff, which I have literally never had a use for
< Randolf> I always generate addresses separately. I never use the in-wallet functions.
< Randolf> I think it's a great feature for non-technical end-users though.
< sipa> Randolf: all of this is about wallet functions
< echeveria> other than a labeling problem this doesn't seem like much of one.
< echeveria> the request payment window is literally just asking for an address label, right?
< gmaxwell> gwillen: there is no extra "payment request workflow stuff"
< gmaxwell> at least if I understand what you're saying.
< gmaxwell> it doesn't support generating BIP70 invoices.
< gmaxwell> the payment request stuff is just a prompt to get an address and label it.
< echeveria> gwillen: grubles: have ever of you actually looked at the interface you're commenting on?
< TD-Linux> gmaxwell, it generates bip70 bitcoin: urls
< sipa> TD-Linux: you mean bip20?
< TD-Linux> oh bip20
< echeveria> TD-Linux: lol no it doesn't
< TD-Linux> yeah I looked in bip70 and saw bitcoin:
< gmaxwell> TD-Linux: thats the misunderstanding I was guessing gwillen had that I was attempting to correct. :)
< echeveria> TD-Linux: it honestly doesn't even show you a BIP20 URI as anything but an options.
< TD-Linux> echeveria, it pops up a text box with a bip20 uri and an address in the same box
< echeveria> TD-Linux: with two buttons at the bottom, "copy address" and "copy URI"
< TD-Linux> would be nice to have two text boxes with the copy button next to each, as is conventional on web forms (but that's nitpicking)
< provoostenator> TD-Linux: BIP70 uses BIP21 style URI's. An app that can handle bitcoin:... may or may not support BIP70, usually not.
< TD-Linux> the "history" is also a bit awkward though. it doesn't show addresses which doesn't help obviousness
< TD-Linux> actually my biggest beef with the history is it doesn't show associated transactions
< provoostenator> You're welcome to improve it, but tweaking things in QT can be a painful process.
< TD-Linux> it shows me how much I requested but not how much I got
< echeveria> TD-Linux: a good rule of thumb is that literally nothing uses, or supports BIP70 other than Bitpay. it'd be nice to show addresses in that form I suppose, generally well labeled they're usable in the transaction list but only if it was a simple transaction paying it.
< TD-Linux> no I don't care about bip70, I meant plain addresses
< tradermyx> blocknotify = "php "c:\long path here\handle.php" %s" <-- How does Bitcoin Core want me to escape the inner path?
< tradermyx> blocknotify = "php \"c:\long path here\handle.php\" %s" <-- Like that?
< tradermyx> Or ""? Or something else?
< sipa> tradermyx: i don't think you need any escaping at all
< sipa> " is not treated specially
< tradermyx> sipa: ?
< tradermyx> " is both on Unix and Windows what you need around any paths that contain spaces and other special chars.
< tradermyx> So how does Bitcoin Core want it to be escaped?
< gmaxwell> tradermyx: You need to escape on command lines. not "any paths". e.g. you don't need to type quotes into filename dialog boxes.
< tradermyx> gmaxwell: How would it know where to stop if I go like this? blocknotify = "php c:\long path here\handle.php %s"
< tradermyx> gmaxwell: It would think the path is "c:\long".
< tradermyx> At least in all other contexts ever... unless Bitcoin Core's config is different?
< echeveria> tradermyx: escape the spaces, as always. this is not really development related. #bitcoin
< tradermyx> echeveria: I've literally never "escaped the spaces", nor did I know it was possible.
< tradermyx> And escape them how?
< tradermyx> Once I have Bitcoin Core running and the console window open, can I make it output whatever value it chose for blocknotify?
< PinkHoodie> Hi everyone.
< PinkHoodie> I'm looking for information of why the method `signrawtransaction` is getting deprecated in a later version of bitcoin core
< PinkHoodie> I want to manage my addresses outside the node for security reasons, but without that method it becomes painful
< PinkHoodie> SInce I don't see why to reinvent the wheel when the node has the function built in
< sipa> PinkHoodie: it has simply been replaced with two methods
< sipa> signrawtransactionwithwallet and signrawtransactionwithkey
< sipa> since 0.17 also new methods have been added that operate on a different format called psbt
< sipa> which should be easier for most workflows
< sipa> there's certainly no functionality being removed, just renamed
< PinkHoodie> Great!
< PinkHoodie> Thank you very much @sipa
< PinkHoodie> I got confused since it is not on bitcoin.org dev reference
< PinkHoodie> You just made my day
< PinkHoodie> I hope you have a great one too
< Sentineo> hm is there a way for walletnotify to tell me which wallet did the notification in a multiwallet setup? If not, is there something like that planed?
< promag> Sentineo: yes, see #13339
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/13339 | wallet: Replace %w by wallet name in -walletnotify script by promag · Pull Request #13339 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< promag> wumpus: should be 0.18? ^
< Sentineo> promag: ty!
< ken2812221> tradermyx: Can you try blocknotify = php "c:\long path here\handle.php" %s
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #14463: Remove a platform dependant type (master...20181011-rbf-nseq) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14463
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 opened pull request #14464: rafactor: Remove use of boost::condition_variable and boost::mutex in checkqueue (master...drop-boost-cond) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14464
< wumpus> provoostenator: sure, tagged
< wumpus> promag^
< promag> ty
< tradermyx> Once I have Bitcoin Core running and the console window open, can I make it output whatever value it chose for blocknotify?
< tradermyx> (So I know I escaped it properly)
< tradermyx> I keep getting terminal windows pop up for a split second before they disappear at semi-regular intervals (every time blocknotify is run)... so things cannot be working correctly.
< tradermyx> And yeah, I should probably ask this in ##bitcoin...
< Arvidt> Could someone please review PR #14425 ?
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14425 | Net: Do not re-enable Onion network when it was disabled via onlynet by wodry · Pull Request #14425 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< promag> are we meeting up today?
< sipa> in 2 hours, right?
< promag> yes that's the time
< * queip> smothers tradermyx ahead of meeting
< wumpus> yes
< Arvidt> Is the meeting canceled, or is it not public anymore?
< jcorgan> 9 minutes
< wumpus> dunno, I suspect many people are in Tokyo and might not join, but we'll see
< wumpus> #startmeeting
< lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Oct 11 19:00:19 2018 UTC. The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
< lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
< wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr btcdrak sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator
< jonasschnelli> hi
< promag> hi
< sdaftuar> hello!
< wumpus> proposed topics?
< gmaxwell> Hi.
< promag> hp?
< jonasschnelli> topic: OSX dmg issue
< jonasschnelli> +proposal
< * jonasschnelli> is in train, connection may randomly drop
< wumpus> IRCing from a train is pretty hard-core
< wumpus> #topic High priority for review
< jonasschnelli> well...
< wumpus> jonasschnelli: it's better than it used to be, I suppose :D
< jonasschnelli> (they have 4g repeater in almost all trains now, probably expect the one im sitting in)
< wumpus> I used to travel by train a lot ~10 years ago, with a crappy GPRS modem, tunneling over ssh, losing connection every few minutes, it was really a nightmare at the time; was before trains had WiFi here in NL
< wumpus> any suggestions to add to high priority for review?
< promag> #14291 could some review by wallet "owners"
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14291 | wallet: Add ListWalletDir utility function by promag · Pull Request #14291 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> you already have 14291 on the list
< promag> I know
< phantomcircuit> `hi
< gleb> hi
< wumpus> #topic OSX dmg issue (jonasschnelli)
< ken2812221> hi
< jonasschnelli> Issue is #14414
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/14414 | Problem upgrading to 0.17.0 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 · Issue #14414 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< jonasschnelli> TLDR: our 0.17.0 DMG image is corrupt...
< jonasschnelli> Probably due to a upstream "bug" in the ds_store python module
< jonasschnelli> IMO the best way to fix this is by "rolling back" to manual generated .DS_Store files
< wumpus> it *crashes* the finder?
< jonasschnelli> wumpus: in one case, I had a finder crash. Yes.
< jonasschnelli> But most cases, it just didn't open the image
< promag> me too
< jonasschnelli> The crash worries me a bit...
< wumpus> that's pretty interestin if it's exploitable
< promag> only one crash though
< wumpus> anyhow, how did we get here, why didn't it happen before?
< jonasschnelli> The DS_Store fileformat is not open..
< jonasschnelli> it has been reverse engeneered AFAIK
< wumpus> can we go back to an older ds_store python module
< jonasschnelli> and the module we use (ds_store module in python) probably messes up
< wumpus> yes
< jonasschnelli> and the mess up only appears on OSX 10.12 upwards
< jonasschnelli> I don't think older versions would work..
< jonasschnelli> I don't think we have upgraded from an older version
< rex4539> For me it crashes the Finder always. Like 100% reproducibility.
< wumpus> but it used to work right?
< jonasschnelli> only on older OSX versions
< wumpus> so 0.16.x also crashes on newer OSX?
< jonasschnelli> I think its an "incompatibility" that only affects OSX 10.12+
< jonasschnelli> wumpus: good question.
< wumpus> I mean the issue talks about upgrading to 0.17
< jonasschnelli> I think they don't... which would lead to something we changed.
< wumpus> I don't think much changed with regard to macosx tooling since then but I guess it's worth checking
< jonasschnelli> Maybe the move to Bionic?
< wumpus> do we use it from the distribution?
< jonasschnelli> no... we load the python package
< jonasschnelli> but maybe its not the ds_store. packaghe
< promag> can we know the module version used in a previous working version?
< jonasschnelli> AFAIK we have not touched it,...
< wumpus> it's possible that something else in the dependency forest causes a subtle change, of course
< rex4539> Just tried with 0.16.3 and it doesn't crash here. So it's a regression for sure.
< wumpus> maybe a newer python
< jonasschnelli> 0.16.3 is not affected (tested just now)
< jonasschnelli> Removing the DS_Store file will cure the issue though...
< jonasschnelli> could be the DMG creation
< wumpus> can just *remove* it?
< jonasschnelli> wumpus: I propose to just replace it with a manually created DS_Store...
< promag> huh, both 0.17 and 0.16.3 use the same stuff right?
< wumpus> I... don't understand enough about OSX to say anything sensible about this
< kanzure> hi.
< wumpus> promag: 0.16.3 builds using trusty, 0.17 started building using bionic
< jonasschnelli> However, .. I'll investigate further (didn't hat too much time last days)
< wumpus> might want to compare the ds_store files between both
< ken2812221> python3?
< wumpus> it might be some unicode encoding issue or whatnot
< jonasschnelli> The DS_Store file is just a file that contains info about the disk image background and icon position, etc.
< wumpus> 0.16 was already python 3 wasn't it?
< jonasschnelli> wumpus: good point.. i'll do that
< ken2812221> But #11881 is not in 0.16
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11881 | Remove Python2 support by jnewbery · Pull Request #11881 · bitcoin/bitcoin · GitHub
< wumpus> jonasschnelli: if we can just remove it, that might be the best way forward, instead of relying on someone's reverse engineering which is apparently failing for new versions
< promag> anyway shame on finder..
< ken2812221> It changes custom_dsstore.py and macdeployqtplus
< jonasschnelli> Yes. But the nice background is cool
< jonasschnelli> (Its somehow expected on OSX)
< jonasschnelli> ken2812221: is 11881 not 0.16 but 0.17?
< wumpus> I agree nice things are nice, but working at all is more important :)
< jonasschnelli> sure. :)
< jonasschnelli> Removing it is an option,.. lets wait a couple of more days to track the issue and if we can't fix it, remote it
< jonasschnelli> (and wait until someome brings it back in a stable way)
< promag> we could generate it with trusty thru docker
< wumpus> 11881 is indeed in 0.17 but not 0.16
< promag> (if that's the problem)
< jonasschnelli> then it's probably 11881
< wumpus> we can try reverting it, at least for 0.17.x branch
< wumpus> but in any case we need to knwo what is the difference in the generated file
< wumpus> might be a straightforward difference or a nightmare
< jonasschnelli> I'll test a revert in my WIP PR via gitian
< wumpus> thanks! hope a revert is doable by now, but I guess, there's not much change in those files
< wumpus> any other topics?
< wumpus> apparently not !
< wumpus> thanks everyone, wrapping up the meeting then
< wumpus> #endmeeting
< lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Oct 11 19:31:03 2018 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
< promag> later ppl
< jonasschnelli> the revert of the relevant parts in 11881 didn't fixed it: https://bitcoin.jonasschnelli.ch/build/831
< tradermyx> queip: ??
< sipa> seems i was asleep for the meeting
< promag> no problem sipa, you can still ack 14291 :P
< sipa> jonasschnelli: i used to irc from trains etc through iodine (an ip over dns proxy), which often worked without registering for the internet access :)
< tradermyx> I give up. I've now wasted countless hours of my life trying to figure out the basic information about how Bitcoin Core's .conf file wants strings escaped.
< tradermyx> What is the solution? I've guessed my way through countless variations that don't work.
< sipa> tradermyx: there is no escaping whatsoever
< tradermyx> sipa: ?
< sipa> the lines are of the form
< sipa> key=value
< sipa> where key is the key, and value is the value
< tradermyx> sipa:
< sipa> quotation marks are not treated specially
< tradermyx> blocknotify ="C:\PHP\php.exe "C:\Users\John Doe\Documents\...\handle_bitcoin_stuff.php" blocknotify %s"
< tradermyx> Are you saying that the outer "s are to go entirely?
< tradermyx> Because I'm 99% sure I tried that.
< sipa> yes
< promag> yes, drop outer "
< tradermyx> Alright. Gonna try that right now.
< esotericnonsense> lol.
< esotericnonsense> you've wasted "countless hours" when you could have just made a script without spaces in the path?
< tradermyx> "could have just made a script without spaces in the path?"?
< tradermyx> Huh?
< tradermyx> The path contains spaces.
< esotericnonsense> yeah, i'm not biting, sorry.
< tradermyx> Biting what?
< esotericnonsense> i don't know who pays you to troll these channels, but you really should find something better to do. I'm sure there's something out there for you.
< tradermyx> It's a simple fact that the path contains spaces. WTF are you saying?
< promag> tradermyx: did it work?
< tradermyx> promag: Not sure yet. It hasn't executed one of them so far.
< tradermyx> (After restarting)
< tradermyx> And even if this particular path hadn't contained spaces, I would still need to have quotes around it for when other people have different paths.
< promag> tradermyx: you should test in regtest first, there you can generate blocks
< tradermyx> Also, these paranoid delusions about "trolls" has got to end. You literally can't ask questions anymore on IRC or anywhere without these nonsensical accusations.
< tradermyx> promag: I've tried to, but that's a whole chapter of itself to understand.
< tradermyx> (As I've probably mentioned in here multiple times.)
< esotericnonsense> tradermyx: you've been here for well over a year and every time I see you you're asking a deliberately obtuse question.
< esotericnonsense> _every time_.
< tradermyx> esotericnonsense: "OK".
< esotericnonsense> I've never seen you have an interaction that isn't some variant of this bullshit.
< tradermyx> esotericnonsense: I think you need to talk to a professional.
< tradermyx> Seriously.
< esotericnonsense> I don't know why you're even here and haven't been banned from the channels, I guess other people have more patience.
< esotericnonsense> yeah, sure.
< promag> tradermyx: you must understand that you are not having developer problems, and this channel is not for support, which is what you want
< tradermyx> Well, I "develop", but not Bitcoin Core... rather trying to use it.
< sipa> for questions about usage go to #bitcoin or https://bitcoin.stackexchange.com
< promag> tradermyx: there you go, this is not a generic developers channel
< tradermyx> That's another thing... Everything is always "off-topic".
< sipa> this channel is about develop*ing* bitcoin core
< sipa> so yes, your questions about usage or development with bitcoin core are off topic
< tradermyx> So I ask in ##bitcoin and nobody responds for hours. Ghost town. What do you want me to do? Sit and twiddle my thumbs or ask where there are experts on this particular software?
< sipa> i don't mind answering details of the implementation here if they're helpful to you
< tradermyx> It works now, at least. Thanks.
< tradermyx> (It just ran one)
< jcorgan> tradermyx: nobody is entitled to answers on irc. every channel has a topic, and ops willing to enforce it. please be considerate of that.
< sipa> try bitcoin.stackexchange.com too, and have some patience
< tradermyx> A scary thing is that esotericnonsense isn't unusual. I see this all the time where if you ask any question, you are immediately called a "troll". Maybe you have a completely different mentality where people just sit around all day and ask "fake" questions (???) but that's... not... what I do?
< tradermyx> My questions are about very real problems that occur all the time.
< gmaxwell> Bored now.
< tradermyx> Ooookay.
< sipa> tradermyx: ok, still not on topic here
< tradermyx> Is this where you ban me and go on thinking I'm a "troll" who asks "fake questions"?
< tradermyx> You are fucking sick.
< promag> tradermyx: glad we could help
< gmaxwell> Next customer!
< promag> gmaxwell: there you go # 14291
< esotericnonsense> i don't know how this guy isn't banned from the channels here, seriously. this is probably why i'm not an op or whatever.
< esotericnonsense> i guess others just use their ignore list more liberally, heh.
< jcorgan> be careful what you ask for, opping can ruin your outlook on humanity
< gmaxwell> esotericnonsense: this channel has a clear enough topic that it's harder for people to be disruptive here, so generally we can be more tolerant.
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] ken2812221 opened pull request #14465: tests: Stop node before removing the notification file (master...test-notification-fix) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/14465
< gwillen> jonasschnelli: so I heard at CoreDev that you're basically the only person who reviews gui changes and I should probably talk to you about my proposed gui changes? :-)
< gwillen> (adding an offline signing wizard, somewhat in the mold of what Armory has)
< gwillen> (using PSBT for passing the transactions around)