< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Empact opened pull request #17938: Disallow automatic conversion between disparate hash types (master...hash-conversion) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17938
< luke-jr> update: false alarm, it's a bug in the test (part of #11413)
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/11413 | [wallet] [rpc] sendtoaddress/sendmany: Add explicit feerate option by kallewoof . Pull Request #11413 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< sipa> luke-jr: best kind of bug
< luke-jr> sipa: not when it's intermittant :p
< sipa> u
< sipa> luke-jr: if i had to have an intermittent bug, my preference would still be to have it in the tests :)
< luke-jr> :)
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ac61ec9da679...4e8b564df0d4
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f117fb0 Elichai Turkel: Replace coroutine with async def in p2p_invalid_messages.py
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4e8b564 fanquake: Merge #17931: test: Fix p2p_invalid_messages failing in Python 3.8 because...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #17931: test: Fix p2p_invalid_messages failing in Python 3.8 because of warning (master...2020-01-coroutine) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17931
< meshcollider> promag: will do, I'll have time tomorrow
< luke-jr> any objections to adding "don't rebase if you don't need to" to developer docs? :x
< sipa> i think that's good advice
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors opened pull request #17939: gui: Remove warning "unused variable 'wallet_model'" (master...2020/01/disable-wallet-unused-variable) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17939
< wumpus> I don't think that's useful, in itself, the people doing rebases probably perceive it as needing to, what would be more useful is to list concretely when to rebase and when not
< sipa> right; but i think it's easy to enumerate the cases when you need to: the PR no longer applies cleanly (=github complains) or (very rarely) a fresh merge succeeds but is incorrect
< luke-jr> wumpus: sure, I was just being brief on IRC :p
< luke-jr> making sure others agreed before I went to the trouble to write up something
< wumpus> ok, that makes sense
< sipa> for a while i would rebase the whole PR any time i made any changs to it... which isn't very compatible with all review workflows
< sipa> luke-jr: to be clear, by rebase you actually changing the base of the PR, not any invocation of the "git rebase" command
< luke-jr> sipa: yes
< sipa> in that case, agreed
< luke-jr> I'll be clear that fixups and such are fine
< wumpus> I usually rebase the PR for every change when the PR is new, to avoid 'messy' commits, but when there has been review, it's better to minimise rebases
< sipa> right
< wumpus> it really depends on the PR though, sometimes it is even requested by reviewers to split things into (atomic) commits
< luke-jr> would be nice if more people would do daggy fixes too :x
< wumpus> I think it's not very easy to enumerate in pracice
< sipa> daggy?
< luke-jr> sipa: bugfixes having a base of the commit introducing the bug, unless it makes problems
< sipa> luke-jr: ugh, not a fan of that :)
< luke-jr> no downsides, and it means it's a clean merge to all affected branches
< wumpus> I'm not sure about that, and that's also too much to ask from most people I think regarding git skills
< luke-jr> hmm
< luke-jr> still, even if not in docs, would be nice to see people do it more ;)
< sipa> luke-jr: i guess i haven't even noticed you doing that, which must mean i can't complain
< luke-jr> usually the only thing noticable is my PR comment like "this is a clean merge to x, y, z" or such
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/4e8b564df0d4...a9c789ed964d
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 486f510 Harris: gui: hide HD & encryption icons when no wallet loaded
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master a9c789e fanquake: Merge #17935: gui: hide HD & encryption icons when no wallet loaded
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fanquake merged pull request #17935: gui: hide HD & encryption icons when no wallet loaded (master...hdwallet-icon-handling) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17935
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] luke-jr opened pull request #17940: doc: Rebasing, when and when not to do it (master...devnotes_rebasing) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17940
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] Sjors opened pull request #17941: depends: update to Boost 1.72 (master...2020/01/boost-bump) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17941
< elichai2> meta question: free function vs methods?
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] fjahr opened pull request #17942: doc: Improve fuzzing docs for macOS users (master...fuzzing_docs) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17942
< wumpus> elichai2: if it needs to access properties or other methods of the class it should be a method, if it is a pure function the a function is better
< sipa> elichai2: functions are more composable
< sipa> say you want to have some function that operates on a CTransaction, if you add it as a method, you're forcing every user of CTransaction to depend on your new code
< sipa> as a free function, implemented where you need it (unless it's very fundamental) can avoid annoying dependency cycles
< wumpus> also a good point
< sipa> (^ my personal opinion, which not everyone always agrees with)
< wumpus> I agree "is it fundamental" is the right question there
< sipa> right, i guess the differences in opinion aren't so much the principle, but what people consider fundamental
< wumpus> true
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj pushed 3 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/a9c789ed964d...f018d0c9cd7f
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 4b8f1e9 Gregory Sanders: IsUsedDestination shouldn't use key id as script id for ScriptHash
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6dd59d2 Gregory Sanders: Don't allow implementers to think ScriptHash(Witness*()) results in nestin...
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master f018d0c Wladimir J. van der Laan: Merge #17924: Bug: IsUsedDestination shouldn't use key id as script id for...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] laanwj merged pull request #17924: Bug: IsUsedDestination shouldn't use key id as script id for ScriptHash (master...reuse_regression) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17924
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] hebasto opened pull request #17943: qt, refactor: Remove never used default parameter (master...20200116-message-parameter) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17943
< wumpus> #startmeeting
< lightningbot> Meeting started Thu Jan 16 19:00:20 2020 UTC. The chair is wumpus. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot.
< lightningbot> Useful Commands: #action #agreed #help #info #idea #link #topic.
< hebasto> hi
< emilengler> hi
< kanzure> hi
< wumpus> #bitcoin-core-dev Meeting: wumpus sipa gmaxwell jonasschnelli morcos luke-jr sdaftuar jtimon cfields petertodd kanzure bluematt instagibbs phantomcircuit codeshark michagogo marcofalke paveljanik NicolasDorier jl2012 achow101 meshcollider jnewbery maaku fanquake promag provoostenator aj Chris_Stewart_5 dongcarl gwillen jamesob ken281221 ryanofsky gleb moneyball kvaciral ariard digi_james amiti fjahr
< wumpus> jeremyrubin lightlike emilengler jonatack hebasto jb55
< jonatack> hi
< achow101> hi
< instagibbs> hi
< sipa> hi
< nehan_> hi
< meshcollider> hi
< fjahr> hi
< wumpus> there have been no proposed topics in https://gist.github.com/moneyball/071d608fdae217c2a6d7c35955881d8a, any last minute proposals?
< andytoshi> hi
< adiabat> hi
< jamesob> hi
< wumpus> re: 0.19.1, we've made some progress, but there's still 3 PRs that need to be reviewed merged
< wumpus> #topic High priority for review
< wumpus> at the moment, 8 blockers, 3 bugfixes, 6 chasing concept ACK: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/projects/8
< wumpus> the bugfixes are for 0.19 backport, and would be good to have in 0.19.1
< sipa> what's blocking 0.19.1?
< wumpus> #17897 definitely needs more review, by someone that understands the indexing code closely
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17897 | init: Stop indexes on shutdown after ChainStateFlushed callback. by jimpo . Pull Request #17897 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< jamesob> can I request we add #17737? as an aside, assumeutxo is in pretty good shape - I think it's got pretty broad concept ACK and the prototype branch seems to be working well. if I can get some help with review and testing, we might be able to `loadtxoutset` by the end of the year... and then we can start thinking about (and whether or not it's worth it) to propagate utxo snapshots through the p2p network
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17737 | Add ChainstateManager, remove BlockManager global by jamesob . Pull Request #17737 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< wumpus> sipa: #17897 #17892 and #17887
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17897 | init: Stop indexes on shutdown after ChainStateFlushed callback. by jimpo . Pull Request #17897 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17892 | bug-fix: delay flushing undo files until after they are finalized by kallewoof . Pull Request #17892 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17887 | bug-fix macos: give free bytes to F_PREALLOCATE by kallewoof . Pull Request #17887 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< wumpus> the latter two are to work around a macosx bug with preallocating files
< sipa> ok, that doesn't look too daunting
< wumpus> last week there seemed to be agreement that this was important for 0.19.1, I'm somewhat sceptical about working around an OS bug at our side, but they're not terrile backs
< jamesob> I'll take a look at 17897
< wumpus> jamesob: great to hear that assumeutxo is on the right track!
< instagibbs> jamesob, is 15606 actually the "child" PR?
< instagibbs> or mothership, I dunno
< jamesob> instagibbs: yep
< jamesob> more mothership than child
< jamesob> but all the assumeutxo code is there
< wumpus> added 17737
< instagibbs> cool, will review
< wumpus> please also review #16702, it seems to be pretty close to mergable
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/16702 | p2p: supplying and using asmap to improve IP bucketing in addrman by naumenkogs . Pull Request #16702 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< jamesob> instagibbs: thanks! recent utxo snapshots for testing are available here: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/15606#issuecomment-555213164
< sipa> #17896 is close too, i think
< gribble> https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/17896 | Serialization improvements (step 2) by sipa . Pull Request #17896 . bitcoin/bitcoin . GitHub
< jnewbery> hi
< wumpus> sipa: ah yes, clearly
< wumpus> the review load is extremely high as usual :)
< jnewbery> #suggestedtopic Bitcoin Core contributor survey
< wumpus> #topic Bitcoin Core contributor survey (jnewbery)
< jnewbery> Thanks wumpus!
< jnewbery> we're having our next coredev irl meeting soonish
< promag> hi
< jnewbery> I'm going to send around a few questions to active contributors before the meeting, and then present the summary at the coredev meeting
< kanzure> regarding that meeting, i plan to once again collect topics (or maybe someone else will)- so send topic proposals that you'd like to see discussed or that you would like to discuss yourself
< jnewbery> so expect that in your inbox soon. It shouldn't take too long to fill out
< jnewbery> that's all I had. Feel free to message me if you have any questions or thoughts about that
< kanzure> is this meeting related or bitcoin core contributor quality of life questions?
< wumpus> ok, good to know
< jnewbery> kanzure: a bit of both. Trying to find out what people's priorities are and if they have any suggestions about the Bitcoin Core process, and then we can talk about them at the meeting
< kanzure> cool. makes sense.
< kanzure> maybe add some topic-collection questions too so i can minimize my workload :) not required though!
< luke-jr> hi
< luke-jr> jnewbery: do you want those of us who won't make it to do the survey?
< jnewbery> yes please! Looking for input from anyone who's active in the project.
< jnewbery> kanzure: good idea. I'll add a topic-collection question and share results with you
< kanzure> thank you
< wumpus> thanks jnewbery
< wumpus> any other topics for today?
< wumpus> ok, have a good week then everyone, hope we can get some more of the high priority PRs merged
< wumpus> #endmeeting
< lightningbot> Meeting ended Thu Jan 16 19:20:40 2020 UTC. Information about MeetBot at http://wiki.debian.org/MeetBot . (v 0.1.4)
< instagibbs> boxing the wallet is very close :)
< kanzure> anyone should feel free to pm/email me topic ideas for physical meeting. i was just thinking that something about fuzzing would be a fun topic....
< kanzure> (or the mutation testing technique for that matter.)
< luke-jr> jnewbery: btw, by soon just how soon do you mean?
< instagibbs> oh, I missed the pr review club on fuzzing. :( i even did my homework
< jonatack> wallet meeting tomorrow, yes?
< instagibbs> jonatack, yep
< instagibbs> MarcoFalke, Seems like no one figured out how to run `test_runner.py` for the fuzzer?
< instagibbs> at least in pr club notes
< jonatack> instagibbs: nope. still trying to catch the bad-txns-inputs-duplicate cve with that fuzz test PR and the check removed from CheckTransaction().
< instagibbs> I ran it overnight and decided it wasn't getting enough runs per second to be worth it for me
< MarcoFalke> instagibbs: The test_runner is mostly for travis
< MarcoFalke> It is meant to run over existing seeds
< MarcoFalke> Not really meant to create new inputs
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/f018d0c9cd7f...218274de7d1f
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 42ec499 Jon Atack: doc: developer notes guideline on RPCExamples addresses
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 218274d MarcoFalke: Merge #17819: doc: developer notes guideline on RPCExamples addresses
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17819: doc: developer notes guideline on RPCExamples addresses (master...rpc-examples-use-invalid-addresses) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17819
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/218274de7d1f...ec9b964cc998
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1be0b1f Sebastian Falbesoner: test: add functional test for non-standard bare multisig txs
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ec9b964 MarcoFalke: Merge #17541: test: add functional test for non-standard bare multisig txs...
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17541: test: add functional test for non-standard bare multisig txs (master...20191120-test-for-bare-multisig-in-mempool_accept) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17541
< jnewbery> luke-jr: today or tomorrow
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 2 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/ec9b964cc998...2aaeca50b22d
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master ef63f5f Sebastian Falbesoner: ci: Combine 32-bit build with CentOS 7 build
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 2aaeca5 MarcoFalke: Merge #17900: ci: Combine 32-bit build with CentOS 7 build
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17900: ci: Combine 32-bit build with CentOS 7 build (master...20200108-ci-add-32-bit-centos-build) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17900
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] dongcarl opened pull request #17944: netaddress: Simplify reachability logic (master...2020-01-simplify-reachability) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17944
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke pushed 5 commits to master: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/compare/2aaeca50b22d...95ca6aeec7b8
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 071f2fc Hennadii Stepanov: script: Add ability to insert copyright to *.sh
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 1998152 Hennadii Stepanov: script: Add empty line after C++ copyright
< bitcoin-git> bitcoin/master 6fde9d5 Hennadii Stepanov: script: Update EXLUDE list in copyright_header.py
< bitcoin-git> [bitcoin] MarcoFalke merged pull request #17691: doc: Add missed copyright headers (master...20191207-copyright-headers) https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/17691
< luke-jr> jnewbery: I mean the coredev.tech IRL meetup
< jamesob> man my logs are packed with `Feeding [x] bytes of dynamic environment data into RNG`. wonder if we should move that to a debug level.
< sipa> jamesob: update master
< jamesob> ah, testing a branch.
< jonatack> jamesob: pull in commit 0ccad08
< jamesob> jonatack: thanks
< meshcollider> yep let's have the first wallet meeting of 2020 tomorrow for those who want to attend :)
< fanquake> #tooearlyinthemorning